2021 guinea hatches

Pics
Yay!!!! Cant wait to see pics of your babies! I have a bunch of guinea eggs that haven’t sold so am thinking of setting some this weekend!
Yes, I really like Nutridrench for stressed and debilitated birds. I once had an odd guineas hatch where the keets were hatching from heavily contaminated shells. They all got their navels dipped in disinfectant and Nutridrench for a few days and did well.
Exactly that it has helped them alot

Attachments

• C34C027D-CA55-4EA6-9078-3C7B1FABB03A.png
    C34C027D-CA55-4EA6-9078-3C7B1FABB03A.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
They are an utter miracle as their potential brothers and sisters were 30 eggs laid by their mother where I work. Sadly a badger came and ate all the 30 eggs during the night while the mother was actually sitting on them .As she was so on and off being a broody mother and kept coming off the nest I saved 6 eggs put them in the incubator and two of them developed properly so the two little keets that hatched are perfect in every way and I am so pleased because it’s the first time I’ve hatched guinea keets

They are an utter miracle as their potential brothers and sisters were 30 eggs laid by their mother where I work. Sadly a badger came and ate all the 30 eggs during the night while the mother was actually sitting on them .As she was so on and off being a broody mother and kept coming off the nest I saved 6 eggs put them in the incubator and two of them developed properly so the two little keets that hatched are perfect in every way and I am so pleased because it’s the first time I’ve hatched guinea keets
Wow - a badger! :th What lucky keets to have survived that! Did the guinea hen survive?

Yikes! They are extremely lucky then!
Congratulations on the little ones:celebrate

13 keets have been moved to the brooder. 13 and 14 were both pipped at the wrong end and needed assistance hatching. Unfortunately 14 is still in the incubator and not up moving around yet. Three eggs have no pips and I’m not sure they are alive. I think a temp spike yesterday (101.3) messed the hatch up:(
So far we have 6 lavender, 2 lavender pied, 3 pearl, and 2 pearl pied.
D35D12B0-7089-4E97-99C9-CD8FDAB2E037.png
5C19F350-044B-41E9-914C-6702B054ED4B.png
E53836EE-4CE4-4299-855B-4F66E1417DD5.png
17177717-710A-4786-9E98-1AD51DE5E44C.png

number 14 still in the incubator (not pictured) looks to be a pearl pied.
I was happy to see that my only turkey egg to make it to lockdown, hatched last night. I was beginning to worry about it.

13 keets have been moved to the brooder. 13 and 14 were both pipped at the wrong end and needed assistance hatching. Unfortunately 14 is still in the incubator and not up moving around yet. Three eggs have no pips and I’m not sure they are alive. I think a temp spike yesterday (101.3) messed the hatch up:(
So far we have 6 lavender, 2 lavender pied, 3 pearl, and 2 pearl pied.
View attachment 2685884View attachment 2685885View attachment 2685886View attachment 2685887
number 14 still in the incubator (not pictured) looks to be a pearl pied.
I was happy to see that my only turkey egg to make it to lockdown, hatched last night. I was beginning to worry about it.
Beautiful little ones - congratulations!!! I love the lavender pied! I had one, Brandon, but he had a fatal road encounter. I sure miss him!

My own hatch has gone poorly… :hit I set 42 eggs. Two were clear and one an early quitter, which seemed pretty typical. When I candles at day 22, I saw a whole lot of late quitters and a lot that I was uncertain about. Keets started hatching on Day 26, last hatched Day 28, so I think temperature was okay. Air cells and membranes seemed ok. But, I only ended up with 12 keets successfully hatching. Two more externally pipped but died in the shell. One more pipped the narrow end (on the down side where I couldn’t see the pip) and died. I assisted one that seemed too weak to complete hatch on its own but seems fine now in the brooder. The remaining eggs looked like they had died several days before. So, discounting the clears, I had 12/39=30% hatch rate, far below my usual of at least 75%.

So, what happened? It’s conjecture on my part, but I suspect that they were poisoned by paint fumes. We are renovating and had a new door put in that the painter used an oil based paint on. The door is far away from the eggs, but the odor did funnel up the stairs near the incubator room. The painting happened when the eggs were at about day15. I just can’t see what else would have caused this massive late die off. I’m happy to see these keets that hatched, but so sad for the many that didn’t make it.

My own hatch has gone poorly… :hit I set 42 eggs. Two were clear and one an early quitter, which seemed pretty typical. When I candles at day 22, I saw a whole lot of late quitters and a lot that I was uncertain about. Keets started hatching on Day 26, last hatched Day 28, so I think temperature was okay. Air cells and membranes seemed ok. But, I only ended up with 12 keets successfully hatching. Two more externally pipped but died in the shell. One more pipped the narrow end (on the down side where I couldn’t see the pip) and died. I assisted one that seemed too weak to complete hatch on its own but seems fine now in the brooder. The remaining eggs looked like they had died several days before. So, discounting the clears, I had 12/39=30% hatch rate, far below my usual of at least 75%.

So, what happened? It’s conjecture on my part, but I suspect that they were poisoned by paint fumes. We are renovating and had a new door put in that the painter used an oil based paint on. The door is far away from the eggs, but the odor did funnel up the stairs near the incubator room. The painting happened when the eggs were at about day15. I just can’t see what else would have caused this massive late die off. I’m happy to see these keets that hatched, but so sad for the many that didn’t make it.
The later in the cycle that anything interferes with the oxygen supply, the more harmful it can be.

Back
Top Bottom