2022 chicks are growing up

Hen Chatter

Chirping
Apr 27, 2019
This year's group of new chicks (10-week-old) is just about ready to add to the rest of the flock - I quarantine until they are big enough to not get picked on by the adults, although they are so much quicker than the adults. This year, with the bird flu going around, it happened to be helpful. I know, my photo is awful, but it does illustrate one thing. The bird with the biggest comb is actually a hen (Cuckoo Marans from Privett Hatchery), the one just in front & to the left is a Barnevelder rooster with a very small comb, directly in front of that is a Prairie Bluebell hen. I wanted a Barnevelder roo because they apparently tend to crow less and not as loud. The hens lay dark brown eggs & one is part of this group. My neighbors don't complain, but the hatchery sent two just in case one died in transit to the Snohomish Co-op. Once I know which one is dominant, I will rehome the other one. They have a barn cat in their enclosure who protects them.

Attachments

• 2022chicks.jpg
    2022chicks.jpg
    788.2 KB · Views: 8
Simon is a hoot. He is a Siamese mix who does not like people. Although gorgeous, he hisses, shows his teeth, and snarls when people get close, but oddly enough, when he got around my youngsters when they were old enough to go to the barn, he was lonely enough and they were shy enough to become the "odd couple". He goes out to the adult hens sometimes during the day & comes back to the youngsters at night, & they all sleep in the same area. He was deemed a barn cat at my county's local shelter because he was not friendly. I told them I only wanted a cat who wouldn't stalk my chickens but rather, all the rodents who decided to have picnics around my chicken feed. At Snohomish County's Animal Shelter, barn cats go to good homes who have the potential to keep them safe from predators, will feed & water them daily, & take care of their needs but with no adoption fee. There's some work to predator proofing a barn & the chicken yard, & I can't say I have it all figured out yet, but it will be worth it if it cuts down the rodent population. My dogs keep most of the predators away, but 2 of them will also chase cats, so it's been some work in that regard also. A single cat cannot fight off a coyote or a raccoon, & a feral cat certainly knows not to try, but I have one dog who hates coyotes, will take on raccoons, & even larger predators. Cats take care of the smaller vermin. Simon showed my fledglings how to get to the higher perches & bonded with them. Can't ask for more.

Hurray for Simon! The Animal Rescue League in Iowa adopts out barn cats, too. They're called "working cats," have to be adopted with at least one other working cat as a friend and cost is $25 per cat. I've always wondered if those cats stay put once they get to their new home -- Simon proves that they do!

Congrats on your new chicks and your amazing cat!

Back
Top Bottom