2023/2024 Emu Hatch-A-Long

Are the sookey female and the young male looking more and more like a breeding-pair? Still unsure. But the male has been vocalising much more.

Emu World is in a state of suspension, as the emus and all other critters wait for autumn rains. Things will turn ugly if there is no fresh grass -- 'fresh pick' -- within about a fortnight.

Supreme Emu

Just the two so far. Nix, the blonde, is staying. The other one already has a home lined up, just waiting for the next hatch (in three days hopefully) so he has a girlfriend to go with.
Nice! I should have 4 hatching in the next 4 to 5 days too. The wonky incubator killed 4 developing chicks. Very sad.

@Pyxis

Ever had this happen? Baby just pushed out a few minutes ago. I put some iodine on it. It's there hope for this little one?

Attachments

• 20240410_122417.jpg
    20240410_122417.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 20
Haven’t posted on here in a bit but I would like to update. The two chicks I hatched about 2 months ago are thriving and doing great! The two eggs I got on “accident” from a spontaneous eBay bid are on Day 54 now and both have internally pipped and I can hear them whistling. Hopefully we will have two more babies here very soon. ☺️
I’m actually shocked that both developed. I was less intensive with these two (didn’t weigh them weekly like the others). I knew that the odds of success with these was less because they were shipped eggs, so I didn’t want to get my hopes or anxiety up too high over them. It was surprising and exciting when I took them out to check around day 35 and they both wiggled!
Going to try to get some sleep now and keep my hands off. Hopefully we will see some progress from them in the morning. 🤞🏻

@Pyxis

Ever had this happen? Baby just pushed out a few minutes ago. I put some iodine on it. It's there hope for this little one?

Only just saw this - how's it doing? I've had a few hatch with partially open navels like that and they've just closed and scabbed on their own within a couple days.

Back
Top Bottom