Ended 2023 Valentine's Day Contest Series—Cutest Couples Photo Contest—Poultry Edition

Pics
View attachment 3389612
Here are Goose and Oreo. Goose was the only hatch from a set of eggs, so I got her 2 friends (Oreo and Bucky). These two were not in good shape. They had previously been overcrowded and dirty. Bucky died. Goose was a very slow developer. Goose was still newborn size by the time he was 5 weeks old. Oreo made it his duty to protect Goose, and teach him. I'd find Goose copying Oreo's behaviours. Goose finally caught up, grew into a gorgeous little roo and they both began to crow so I rehomed them to a local petting farm.

Non entry photos:
Heartwarming story about Goose and Oreo. :love

Are you saying that because of her comb? If so, I have a hatchery wyandotte with a single comb.
I do too. Out of 5 GLW's, all have rose comb except Rosie. Shes my single comb gal. I often wonder if she is part something else because as much as she looks like a GLW, she certainly doesnt act anything like the others.The others are all super chill and laid back. Rosie gets everyone all worked up with her loud, sometimes annoying shouting, going after others during feeding, roost time......forget it! She marches the roost daring any chicken to come up. When they do she pushes them off. I have 3 hens sleeping in nesting boxes because of Rosie my single comb. But, this morning, after a 4 month Hiatus, Rosie wants to lay and they are all in the henhouse acting crazy. :ya

Not entries. Just a photo dump of these two because they melt my heart
#millefleursisters

THORBY AND NOODLES.jpg
IMG-20220320-WA0002.jpeg
20220426_163100.jpg
DSC_0049.JPG
20220526_165243_HDR.jpg
20220426_163145.jpg
IMG-20220330-WA0001.jpeg
IMG-20220322-WA0003.jpeg
DSC_0085.JPG
IMG-20220320-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20220313-WA0072.jpeg

Their story is waayyyy too long so I'll simplify it a bit.
Thor (the frizzle) and 3 siblings hatched under 2 broodies. Thor was the only chick who was attacked daily whenever she went out with her moms. She began to hide in the coop all day without food, or she would run away from other chickens and get stuck in places. I tried everything, including separating the bully hen, but then other chickens went for her.
When I integrated my 3 d'uccle chicks outside (including Noodles), I had space to take Thor in, so I did. She got endless amounts of love and attention as she ruled the house. She enjoyed family time where she would fall asleep on the sofa watching tv. She lived in the house for about 10 weeks, over Christmas and new years where she got spoiled.
Noodles was the only pullet in her group, and her brothers were rehomed. She was lonely, in a coop full of larger hens. We got closer, bit it was hard for me to juggle time with Thor, Noodles, and the rest of the flock.
I integrated Thor in, it was difficult, but she managed to settle. Noodles and Thor would both want cuddle time when I came to the coop. They were both lonely. Over time, they started to bond. Noodles used Thor's fluffy feathers as a blanket to stay warm on the roost. Thor used Noodles' feisty nature as a bodyguard from bullies.

10 months after they first met, and now they are still best friends. Still roosting together at night and following eachother around the run during the day. And most importantly, they're the sweetest hens in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom