Ended 2023 Valentine's Day Contest Series—Some Poultry Are Red, Some Are Blue, But Let's Not Forget, They Can Be Barred Too!

Pics
RED
Our son's hen, Chizzy (March 2013 - Nov 2022)
She was a fearless bird, at the top of pecking order, and very loved by our son, He got her at age 4 but couldn't pronounce "Speckled Sussex." It came out sounding like "Special Sau-ce" = her nickname.
chizzy1.jpg

Son growing up with his pet chicken. Chizzy flew up to sit with him in the fort and actually seemed to enjoy the swings with him. Sadly Chizzy was killed by a hawk a few months ago. She was beautiful in many ways.
IMG_0301.JPG IMG_3933.JPG

Last edited:
BLUE
This is my favorite blue Orpington hen, Jewel. We thought she was a male because of her large size and red wattles as a chick. It turns out, she's just big loveable old hen. She has gone broody a few times, and yes, she can cover a lot of eggs/chicks.
blue orp.jpg

When Jewel was young and we still though there was a chance she'd be a rooster, our daughter dressed Jewel up. They played Barbies in order to "persuade" Jewel to get in touch with her feminine side. :lau

Last edited:
Barred (technically cuckoo)

Here's our daughter's favorite Dominique hen, named "Bubbles." She was a wonderful and extremely intelligent bird. Our daughter trained her to do many tricks. Bubbles would accompany me to schools whenever I was asked to do a presentation. She never seemed to mind being in the spotlight. Bubbles was a pretty big local celebrity. She received many thank you letters from the school children - fan mail.

1675286454960.jpeg

Want to see "Bubbles the Amazing Chicken" do a magic trick? Seriously, she was a very well-trained hen. Did you even know you could teach such things to a chicken?

3392809[/ATTACH]
]

Attachments

• IMG_4399 copy.jpg
    IMG_4399 copy.jpg
    1,010 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
RED
Our son's hen, Chizzy (March 2013 - Nov 2022)
She was a fearless bird, at the top of pecking order, and very loved by our son, He got her at age 4 but couldn't pronounce "Speckled Sussex." It came out sounding like "Special Sau-ce" = her nickname.
View attachment 3392780

Below: Not entry pics
Son growing up with his pet chicken. Chizzy flew up to sit with him in the fort and actually seemed to enjoy the swings with him. Sadly Chizzy was killed by a hawk a few months ago. She was beautiful in many ways.
View attachment 3392782View attachment 3392783

BLUE
This is my favorite blue Orpington hen, Jewel. We thought she was a male because of her large size and red wattles as a chick. It turns out, she's just big loveable old hen. She has gone broody a few times, and yes, she can cover a lot of eggs/chicks.
View attachment 3392798

Below = Not an entry
When Jewel was young and we still though there was a chance she'd be a rooster, our daughter dressed Jewel up. They played Barbies in order to "persuade" Jewel to get in touch with her feminine side. :lauView attachment 3392957

Barred (technically cuckoo)

Here's our daughter's favorite Dominique hen, named "Bubbles." She was a wonderful and extremely intelligent bird. Our daughter trained her to do many tricks. Bubbles would accompany me to schools whenever I was asked to do a presentation. She never seemed to mind being in the spotlight. Bubbles was a pretty big local celebrity. She received many thank you letters from the school children - fan mail.

View attachment 3392803

Video of Bubbles when in training starts at 2:38
The first part is our daughter training "Trouble"

Not an entry:
a photo of BFFs Trouble & Bubbles

View attachment 3392809
Beautiful birds!! :love :love I can tell that they're very special to you and your family!

She's pretty! :love:love I love how you took the picture!
It is ok if I enter a picture from another contest
Rule #8 says that you can't enter a picture that won in another BYC-sponsored contest. If your picture hasn't won in one yet, then it's fine to enter it. :)

Rule #8 from OP:
You cannot use a photo that won an award in another BYC-sponsored contest.

Back
Top Bottom