-20F temps tonight. Should I be worried?

Same here, down to -9F last night, closed all the windows in the coop, but left the front louver flap open (southeast opening).
I had no inside frost on the windows, good sign that the humidity was low inside the coop.
No supplemental heat , just had the water heaters on all night to melt the ice. This morning the hens are laying, and looking for treats.
Considering this is the first year we've had chickens, and also that our temps have been fluctuating from the 50s to below zero the flock is
doing pretty well.

That is cold. Here in Texas, we don't usually have to worry about super cold temperatures, if it gets cold, it usually does not last long.
smile.png

It is suppose to be around 75 here today, tomorrow the high will be around 40, then it is suppose to be in the upper 70's later this week.
hu.gif

Wow- such great info. Do all or most of you keep the water outside the coop?

We added 2 hinge down ventilation flaps today. We'll see how that affects the humidity.

hummmmm humidity. I am tracking the humidity level in a coop that doesn't have chickens in it yet. It's a small coop and there is ventilation at the top. It was 86% this am. the weather was clear, 54 degrees last night. I can see that it wouldn't take much moisture to have a problem. I know you folks and chickens are tough up there in the north, but -2 is cold.

OK - quick update. The humidity is leveling out at 56%. Temps 24 in coop, 3 degrees warmer than the outside. Flaps worked!

I have my water inside the coop, but it doesn't wet the shavings, and I clean up any very wet shavings.
I only close some of the windows if there is alot of winds, and precipatation, and very low temps <10F
Temps inside the coop when the chicken doors are closed are about 6 degrees warmer than outside, but I do have a nice 5 inch thick bedding of composing shavings.

OK - quick update. The humidity is leveling out at 56%. Temps 24 in coop, 3 degrees warmer than the outside. Flaps worked!

Back
Top Bottom