20'x10' rabbit "barn" with chickens - coop ideas?

MacNobody

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
I have made a rabbitry out of two 10'x10' dog kennels.

I am interested in coop ideas to put inside the kennel. I am in the barn every day caring for the bunnies, and would be able to give the chickens one 10' wall out to about 4-6'

Right now the chickens have a little coop but with the cold weather coming I need to give them something warmer.

Thanks sunflour! I will look more closely at the Purina Mills coops. I have the skeleton of a coop already, just need to expand it a little I think.

Guess it depends on how many you will be housing, and your location. How cold y'all get?
Most chickens are pretty cold hardy and bet they'll spend most of the winter days in your run. And whether nests are in the run or coop attached would determine how to adjust your plans. Good luck on your project.

I have made a rabbitry out of two 10'x10' dog kennels.

I am interested in coop ideas to put inside the kennel. I am in the barn every day caring for the bunnies, and would be able to give the chickens one 10' wall out to about 4-6'

Right now the chickens have a little coop but with the cold weather coming I need to give them something warmer.

welcome-byc.gif
McNobody, Great coop/rabbitry Where are you from? Lots of snow? If not, you might winterize with clear shower curtains around the kennel. I'm in La out of Shreveport and no worries of snow. I have a kennel coop with no little coop. Just the kennels. So I have tarp along the back wall and will do the curtains.

Good point about the tarp. I could probably get by with a small hard shelter and heat lamp for the really cold stuff.

Good point about the tarp. I could probably get by with a small hard shelter and heat lamp for the really cold stuff.

Do some research on here. Check out at the search at the top of the page for Do I need heat for my chickens. It's an eye opener. A friend on here is in Alabama I think and has an open coop with just cattle panels across and a tarp. She gets a lot of snow and still only has the plastic around it. She shelters inside the coop with straw bales. And doesn't lose any chickens. Amazing.
woot.gif
Also check out the Arkansas thread on the Social part of this forum. Ask questions and they will tell you what they do. Good luck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom