21 days question

Ma Noob

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 3, 2010
South Australia
This 21 days, Does it start from the day the egg is layed or from when its put in the incubator/chicken sits on it.

I had a broody hen that is sat on eggs, and started about a week-ish after i put eggs in my incubator that started hatching a week ago.

I noticed she isnt off the eggs at much at the moment so im guessing its getting close. just tried to lift her slightly to have a look, couldnt see any pips, and cant hear any peeps so im guessing no action as yet. But these eggs would have been in there from a few days after i collected the last of the eggs for the incubator which was on the 5/11, So i kinda thought that i may have seen some by now.

Which then made me wonder if its 21 days from incubation or from day of lay

Most of my chicks have hatched on day 20 but some have hatched out on day 21, but it also depends if you count the day you set your eggs as day 0 or day 1. I start out the day I set the eggs as day 0. I think of it like this, you aren't 1 yr old the day you are born the same I think the same should apply to hatching. I don't count the day I set the eggs for hatching. I start the following day as day 1. That is just the way I do it.

Quote:
x2

The chicks do not start developing inside the egg until they have heat.

So they do not start developing as they are laid, but whenever they are set into the incubator, or sat on by a hen.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom