21 dead hens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by erwin5, Jun 4, 2008.

1. erwin5

erwin5 New Egg

Jun 4, 2008
    Yesterday I came home from work to find 21 of my hens dead, scattered throughout their fenced in yard. Some with their heads off, but lying near by. I have been raising chickens for about 5 years and this is my first encounter with predators. Any ideas as to what may have killer all these hens in one night? I have set traps and nothing so far, but I am back to locking them up at night. Help!

2. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    I am so sorry to hear about your situation...as for what could have done it, I don't have a clue. Anyone? Again, so sorry.

3. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Oh, how awful for you and those poor hens! So sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Maybe a dog?

5. tricia

tricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    Sounds like raccoons to me. They like brains and livers and will eat the head and/or make a whole underneath. From my experience dogs will just kill for fun or if they eat them they eat pretty much the whole bird.

I am so sorry, I lost most of my first flock that way. It is a horrible thing to come home to!

6. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    I lost 12 RIR's in a similiar way last year after searching around the pen area I found where something had managed to pull the wire loose where it was stapled and gain entry. After aquiring a live trap and setting it near the pen I managed to catch 3 raccoons in just a few days. Trap was baited with peanut butter placed in the very back of the trap which the raccoons dearly love! Hope this helps sorry for the loss of your chickens. [​IMG]

7. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    This is dogs. Raccoons and other wild predators kill for food. They don't waste energy killing for fun. Dogs will take out your whole flock just for kicks.

I'm really sorry. If you've noticed a neighbor's dog hanging around he could be your culprit. Sometimes the sweetest little, most seemingly harmless, dogs are big time chicken killers.

8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    With heads off or missing it screams raccoon.

Sorry to hear you had this happen.

9. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    Coons don't always kill for food. My grandparents had coons, they watched the, drown some of their ducks and just leave them.

But dogs or cats will do it to. I would look around your pens for paw prints or hair.

10. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Quote:I am so sorry :| Closing them in next time is a great idea for their own protection. Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by