21 week Basque Roo is suddenly MEAN to me!!

PaolaH1234

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 17, 2013
Rutherfordton, NC
Hi all, I have a gorgeous Basque Roo that is about 21 weeks old. He is in an enclosed coop/run with 4 girls, about the same ages. I have had them all since they were a week old and hand raised them. Up until about a week ago, I would hang out with them in the coop/run and they would roost on me, sit on my shoulder, eat out of my hand, I could pick them up, etc. Including the Roo. Suddenly, almost over night, he is now aggresively launching himself at me! I have gotten 3 bloody pecks from him in as many days! I can't go in the run without him stalking me and jumping at me with his talons extended, like he is in a cock fight!! I have seen him peck at the girls, but I just assumed that was normal for his age... No injuries to the girls, so far, but I don't know what to do to get him to stop attacking me, and I certainly don't want him to hurt the girls. None of the girls have started laying, yet, I am hoping soon... Could he be getting protective of them because of that? I hate to have to get rid of him, they are all like pets, but I can't have an aggressive roo in a confined space that I can't go in now! Any advise??? (and please don't suggest I have him for dinner.... I simply could NOT do that!)

We had a leghorn rooster that was the same way. We never could break him of it. He ended up in the stew pot. He drew blood on me 6 or 8 times & left many bruises as well. He would even try to attack my face any time I bent over. Good luck, I hope you have better luck than I did. I have 2 other roosters that are just fine.

OMG, not being able to spend time with them is pure torture. Have you tried just kicking the daylights out of him? Just to let him know you will not tolerate it. Maybe some serious threats of going to the pot. Yes I believe they listen and know what you are talking about.

you could try separating him for a while in his own pen maybe inside the same coop and hopefully he will go down on the pecking order

Back
Top Bottom