21 week golden comets still not laying!

amk122284

Songster
May 11, 2020
Northern Indiana
We have 10 Golden Comets. They are all most 21 weeks. They have big waddles and combs, they've been squatting for a couple weeks when we approach them but we have yet to have a single egg! Comets typically lay earlier than most and now it seems they are laying late for a standard chicken even! They are getting 14 hours of light a day, we have a light come on about 2 hours before sunrise. They are on all flock 20% protein with oyster shells, they have plenty of space, they have about 6 sq foot of space in the coop each. Then in the run they have 16 sq feet each in the run so a total of 22 sq ft per bird all the time. They have a grazing box in the run, they have 4 large perch/roosting bars in the run, another 12 feet of roost inside the coop. We change water twice a day keeping it fresh. Still nothing......we are trying so hard to be patient lol.

Of the 2 comets in my flock, 1 began lay at 20 1/2 weeks and the other at 22 1/2 weeks. Funny part is the one with the smaller lighter comb & waddles started first. I watched her go in the box and waited until she laid it.
The more developed comet is very skiddish and still does not squat at all. I think that played a role in her laying later.
Ive learned each breed has its traits, but each chicken does to.
Soon as the first one lays the rest will follow quickly!

we are trying so hard to be patient
It's hard to wait.
Starting this thread will probably do the trick!
Mostly kidding but it has happened.

Any chances they could have a hidden nest in the run?
I assume you have nests in the coop all ready to go, with bedding and fake eggs?

Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Tho pelvic point spread can happen a couple weeks before lay,
condition of the vent may be a better indicator.

Golden comet is just a marketing name. It basically means red sex links but with the red rooster more likely buff. It's possible they could be the commercial laying hybrids but if they are not laying by 20 weeks it's more likely they are crosses of two dual purpose breeds. If you know which hatchery they came from we might be able to tell the difference. But that doesn't really matter to the answer.

You are doing everything right. But each pullet is an individual. She will lay when she lays. It can be really aggravating, most of us have been there if we've been doing this for long. With 10 of them I'm a little surprised you haven't seen an egg yet but I've been very disappointed before.

The most common cause of hens not laying when you think they should is the molt. That should not be happening with yours. But sometimes remarkable things happen. Are you seeing a lot of feathers floating around? I didn't think so.

Another common cause is that they are hiding a nest. I don't now how possible that is with your set-up but it is a common cause. They can be really good at hiding a nest.

It's possible something is getting the eggs. Most critters that eat eggs leave signs behind, wet spots or bits of egg shell. Since you are in Indiana (thanks for including that) the critters I'd expect to not leave a trace are snakes, canines, and humans. If it is consistent every day it's not a snake, They don't work that way. The only canine I know that would not be eating your chickens is a dog. Does a dog have access? I'll let you evaluate the possibility of a human. That doesn't have to be a stranger, it could be someone playing a practical joke. Someone playing that kind of joke on me might wind up with raw egg on their face but you're probably nicer than I am.

My guess is that they just haven't started yet but should really soon.

Promising news today! We have 3 or 4 that are heavily invested in the nesting boxes suddenly lol they have got the fake eggs and bedding all jumbled around, this is a first! I was beginning to worry something was wrong with the boxes! Bad location, too small, too much light etc. Their coop with nesting boxes and box access are behind an exterior door with keycode. Floor is concrete and there are cameras in their coop so we can visually monitor for critters etc. We are on 3 acres outside of city limits too, our closes neighbor kids are my nieces. We do not let them free range due to hawks at this point, but we are putting in about 40x3x3 feet of tunnel next spring. We have been checking every possible place, i thought maybe they were laying under the ramp up to the roost but we shoveled out all the pine shavings in the coop to check good and there was nothing. They all came from Hoovers hatchery. Hopefully in the next day or so I have exciting news to report back!

Promising news today! We have 3 or 4 that are heavily invested in the nesting boxes suddenly lol they have got the fake eggs and bedding all jumbled around, this is a first! I was beginning to worry something was wrong with the boxes! Bad location, too small, too much light etc. Their coop with nesting boxes and box access are behind an exterior door with keycode. Floor is concrete and there are cameras in their coop so we can visually monitor for critters etc. We are on 3 acres outside of city limits too, our closes neighbor kids are my nieces. We do not let them free range due to hawks at this point, but we are putting in about 40x3x3 feet of tunnel next spring. We have been checking every possible place, i thought maybe they were laying under the ramp up to the roost but we shoveled out all the pine shavings in the coop to check good and there was nothing. They all came from Hoovers hatchery. Hopefully in the next day or so I have exciting news to report back!
Wow you’ve really gone all out with your coop and thought of everything! Haha that’s amazing though! Lucky birds! :love :eek: :bow

I am sure they will lay soon! I once posted that mine weren’t laying yet and went out and found an egg 😂🤣
I am sure they will lay soon! I once posted that mine weren’t laying yet and went out and found an egg 😂🤣

I am sure too, im just being impatient!

Oh yes they are spoiled 🤣 my husband has got some stuff rigged up for me lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201002-011111_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201002-011111_Chrome.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 7
I am sure too, im just being impatient!

Oh yes they are spoiled 🤣 my husband has got some stuff rigged up for me lol
I totally understand the feeling!! When I added more pullets last year, I thought they were never going to lay!! LOL took them all like at least 6 months but I had one or two slackers wait till like 9 :eek: I almost died 😂🤣 they weren’t golden comets though, don’t worry! LOL but when you get them in the spring they can take longer to lay because of the reduced light. Although with your set up that shouldn’t affect it much. But they’re coming into lay when we’re losing light instead of when it’s increasing. My first batch all laid pretty early so I was expecting that LOL

Back
Top Bottom