21 week old EE sitting in nest box

Last week my EE was 21 weeks old, she did the same thing for three days. I have gotten 3 eggs from her since. One about every other day. I thought she'd never lay that egg!
roll.png
She finally did only it wasn't what I'd hoped for; her eggs are brown
hit.gif

Oh well I've got 6 more EE hens in the grow out pen.
hu.gif
Maybe I'll get some colored eggs from them.

I thought for sure she would lay today with the warm weather and all that practicing. But no. She hasn't even gone in to practice today
sad.png
oh well soon I'll have my precious eggs
smile.png

I've determined this is Smokey's 2nd egg - we've had 4 green eggs so far. Two that I watched our 21 week old Bandit lay on the floor of the coop on two different days this week (Wed & Fri). Then we have the one Smokey laid today in the nest box & 1 green egg that someone laid on 12/31 in the nest box. We thought it was Bandit because she had a much more pronounced red comb then Smokey at the time. Judging by the fact that Bandit laid both times on the floor in the same spot in the corner, I don't think she laid the egg in the nest box on Dec 31st. So that means this is Smokey's 2nd egg. Do you think this is true? That just seems the most logical - if Bandit does lay in the nest box next time - I guess my theory will not hold.

Anyway - we have another green egg! Here's Smokey today after she laid her egg.

97463_smokeys_second_egg_1_7_2012_013.jpg

Found her in the nest box this morning laying me a beautiful egg that's almost blue in color. Here are her two latest eggs together - green on left, blue on right. If I didn't watch both come out of her I'd say they were two different pullets.

97463_smokey_green_blue_egg_001.jpg

Congratulations!!!!!! Gorgeous eggs! Hope she lays this well for a long time to come.

I've noticed that my newer layer seems to shift more in egg color than the ones that have been laying for several weeks. The shape changes too but much more slowly. The eggs seem to get wider.

Back
Top Bottom