21 Week Old Golden Comets not Laying

CluckMtn

Hatching
Jun 2, 2020
Hello, this is my furst time raising xhic I ens and I currently have 8 hens a mixture of golden comets and cinnamon queens. All of them are 21 weeks old now and I have had since chicks at just a few days old. I have neighbors that have hens that are the same age as that got them at the same time as I did and have been getting eggs for a few weeks now. I currently have them on a layer feed with oyster shells and give them one cup of scratch in the morning. They have access to 5 nesting boxes, and the run is about 20x20. I have seen evidence of them exploring the nesting boxes but so far no eggs. Was wondering if anyone has any words of advice? I read that these hybrids can start laying early but more commonly closer to 20 weeks. Just finding it odd that we havent got even one yet from 8 hens. Thank you.

I'm not sure what you mean by squatting, but their combs have definitely increased in size and are a nice red but not vibrant. My wife was wondering if it might have something to do with the rooster we got with them (we have just one rooster), or the table scraps.

When you go to pick them up, do they squat down? Reddening combs are a sign they should be laying soon! You are almost there!😊

Oh, I'll have to check for squatting. They usually just try to run away so I havent paid too much attention.

Are your neighbors feeding the same diet? I'm not a fan of swapping to layer early as it has lower protein (protein helps with growth), plus calcium that isn't utilized until they're ready to lay, plus the addition of treats like scratch further dilutes down the protein %.

Back
Top Bottom