21 week old hens not laying yet

As others have said, "Start of Lay" is breed dependent, with huge individual variations. I usually offer a 4 week range for "typical", no guarantees. Its like a strong suggestion.

Silkies, btw, are not famed as either early or frequent layers. Neither do they produce large eggs. They are "vanity" chickens when viewed from the standpoint of practicality. Essentially the same with the Polish, worse in some ways. The Sussex, at least, has some productive value, though I'd be surprised if its start of lay isn't between 24 and 28 weeks - or if it lays more frequently than every other day.

If Eggs were your primary concern, none of those birds were good breed choices. Better luck, and more pre-purchase research, next time.

Hi there. I have 3 Pullets who are almost 22 weeks old (polish, silkie, & speckled Sussex). I haven’t received any eggs yet, is this normal? I had chickens about 8 years ago, and if I remember they layed their first eggs around 18 weeks old.
Hello. Has anyone started laying by now? Just thought I'd add that I have a Speckled Sussex that is solidly 7 1/2 months old and still not laying. I think our pullets are of a similar age. I have three other breeds that started laying 2 months ago. I am waiting patiently for her to be ready. She sits in the nesting box every day for an hour+ but still no egg yet. I don't quite believe that "early layer" info that is everywhere re: SS, or I/we have late bloomers!

Hello. Has anyone started laying by now? Just thought I'd add that I have a Speckled Sussex that is solidly 7 1/2 months old and still not laying. I think our pullets are of a similar age. I have three other breeds that started laying 2 months ago. I am waiting patiently for her to be ready. She sits in the nesting box every day for an hour+ but still no egg yet. I don't quite believe that "early layer" info that is everywhere re: SS, or I/we have late bloomers!
My SS is a terrible layer! She started laying at 9 months. We thought she’d never lay at all. She laid this as her first egg!🤣
7AD1780C-68E0-4269-8043-72617B036B03.jpeg

My late bloomer started laying about a week and a half ago. The first of her eggs were soft shelled and broken in the egg box. The last two days she has laid perfectly beautiful eggs! She was at 26 wks old when she finally started laying good eggs!

My Polish has started laying, not my speckled Sussex or silkie. My Polish has been laying everyday for about a month now, now quite sure how she was the first 😂 my silkie is squatting now, so I know she’ll be soon. No signs of laying soon from my Sussex yet.
Hello. Has anyone started laying by now? Just thought I'd add that I have a Speckled Sussex that is solidly 7 1/2 months old and still not laying. I think our pullets are of a similar age. I have three other breeds that started laying 2 months ago. I am waiting patiently for her to be ready. She sits in the nesting box every day for an hour+ but still no egg yet. I don't quite believe that "early layer" info that is everywhere re: SS, or I/we have late bloomer

My SS started laying just after Labor Day, a little over 5 months old (hatched the last few days of March). She is still my ONLY egg-layer in a flock with 1 BR and 2 EEs the same age. The wait is terrible, but at least the SS has made a respectable showing. Since the very start she has laid either 2 or 3 days on, 1 day off (4-5 eggs per week).

My SS is a terrible layer! She started laying at 9 months. We thought she’d never lay at all. She laid this as her first egg!🤣View attachment 2846099
My SS started at about 10 months, she waited until the first day of spring to give us her first 🥰 whereas our light Sussex started 3 months earlier. Winter separated their start times.
The speckled has laid lovely eggs so far (only been a month of laying), but they are so different in both size and colour to the light Sussex. They are so little and almost white! A 20 gram difference.
First time I’ve had Sussexes so it’s all very interesting.
37124236-BFB9-4796-943B-59AE19AA97CC.jpeg

Hi there. I have 3 Pullets who are almost 22 weeks old (polish, silkie, & speckled Sussex). I haven’t received any eggs yet, is this normal? I had chickens about 8 years ago, and if I remember they layed their first eggs around 18 weeks old.
Totally depends on the breed and on the day length when they hit maturity. I live in western Montana. I have 4 pullets who are 30 weeks old, and still no eggs... which I suspect is due to the fact that our day length at this latitude is already pretty short.

Back
Top Bottom