21 weeks old! Looking for some eggs!

One of my Australorps has just started laying eggs and while they are visually perfect, they are a little on the small side. I have heard them called pullet eggs and I assume they will get a little larger later on when she gets cranked up.
Yup! It can take anywhere from days to weeks to months for eggs to get up to a 'large' size...can depend on the breed and/or the individual. Congrats on your eggs!

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

I have three EE, two Welsummer and two Buttercups. All seven were February hatch. We got our first EE egg last weekend, our first buttercup eggs two weeks ago, I think. (At first I thought they were from one of our larger bantams). Yesterday was our first Welsummer egg. So, 28-29 weeks and only three of the seven are laying.
:barnie

This years Barn Gems laid their first eggs at 19-22 weeks. My Barn Gems are good layers by design of purpose and they are meeting my projections nicely. Now my pure Barnevelders are a completely different story, their purpose is to be pretty and getting the occasional egg is a perk. It is not uncommon for them to take up to 32-36 weeks, so I am not expecting to see anything from them until they get closer to 30 weeks of age.

Out of my 5 pullets that hatched April 16th, only one is laying right now. Two look ready, and 1 of those is squatting reliably now, so hopefully they’ll get going soon. The last two don’t look like they’ll be laying anytime soon. :barnie I’ve never had a whole group take this long to come into lay. Even my first group of chickens, which were hatched in August, were all laying reliably by 22 weeks.

In a couple of months, I’ll have more eggs than I can possibly use. Right now I’m impatiently watching and waiting.
I have 6 pullets hatched around the end of March, my first egg came at 16 weeks and my last pullet laid her first egg exactly 7 weeks later. So funny how different breeds lay at different times!

Yup! It can take anywhere from days to weeks to months for eggs to get up to a 'large' size...can depend on the breed and/or the individual. Congrats on your eggs!

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.
My red sex linked started out small but it didn't take long to get nice large eggs from them. My buff orpingtons on the other hand are still laying small eggs at 27 weeks old.

I have 2 silkies
I’m pretty sure I have a roo and a pullet
They are 16.33 weeks old.
When does she start laying and what are the signs I’m new to this?

F383E5C8-CE31-4F63-A18A-3E2FBE7AE82D.jpeg
Look at this!! I think one of the Black copper Marans laid her first egg!! It is the darkest on.

Back
Top Bottom