21 Weeks old Rhode Island Reds and no eggs

wolfhybridsandchickens

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2023
My Rhode Island Reds are 21 weeks old combs are starting to be bigger on some. But still no eggs. Feeding them layer pellets from rual king. And let them free range for few hours a day. Temperature is starting to get in the 50s during the day here. I'm hoping that's what's causing them to be behind. Any tips would greatly be appreciated! Thank you all in advance!!

My Rhode Island Reds are 21 weeks old combs are starting to be bigger on some. But still no eggs. Feeding them layer pellets from rual king. And let them free range for few hours a day. Temperature is starting to get in the 50s during the day here. I'm hoping that's what's causing them to be behind. Any tips would greatly be appreciated! Thank you all in advance!!
My RIR's and BPR's don't lay until about 25-26 weeks.

Realistically I think most of my chickens, no matter the breed, have started laying between 24-28 weeks. I'm not sure there is much you can do to facilitate the start of laying, although may be things you could do that may inhibit it, it sounds to me like you are providing what they need to give them a good start. What do their combs look like? They will turn a pretty bright red when they are laying. I bet they are almost there! 🤞 Seeing your chickens first egg never gets old! :wee
CJ

Realistically I think most of my chickens, no matter the breed, have started laying between 24-28 weeks. I'm not sure there is much you can do to facilitate the start of laying, although may be things you could do that may inhibit it, it sounds to me like you are providing what they need to give them a good start. What do their combs look like? They will turn a pretty bright red when they are laying. I bet they are almost there! 🤞 Seeing your chickens first egg never gets old! :wee
CJ
Some are getting bigger and brighter. The anticipation is overwhelming. Lol My wife says I baby them but their part of the family!

My Rhode Island Reds started laying pullet eggs at 17 weeks and that caught me totally unprepared. Now 40 hens are dropping an average of 31-32 eggs a day that range from a medium to 2.75 ounces or Jumbo+. Delaware flock of 40 pullets that are exactly the same age have just started laying pullet eggs at 23 weeks. Hens can be mysterious creatures.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom