21st Century Incubator in development. Need feedback/volunteers!

Wow, didn't know there would be such a strong response. My DW of 12 years looked at me and smiled when I explained it to her. I couldn't tell if she was thinking, you poor poor geek or if if she thought it was a good idea and I was smart. The jury is still out on that one.

I am looking for probably two or more, depending on how it goes. I am just a regular guy, so developing and making them, as well as paying for them and shipping them is coming out of my pocket. I know that people are always skeptical about stuff like this on the net, don't worry, I won't ask for your credit card or anything
smile.png
. I am going to test it myself as well, but I would like a few more unbiased opinions, like a field trial. Then, if all goes as planned, I will be able to offer them for sale for a very reasonable price compared to what is out there.

There is no comparison between electronically controlled thermostats to hot water heater stats or snap disc stats. The latter two can have tolerances greater than +-5 degrees. Plus, with electronics you can do really neat things relatively inexpensively, i.e. digital outputs to show internal wiggler temp, days to hatch, time till next turn. Stuff like that.

Thanks for all the support! Hatch on.

Jason

I also have an electronics background. Your idea sounds great but I am concerned that the number of features you are contemplating could make the end result as cost prohibitive as the current units on the market.

The circuit board looks very impressive. It appears that you are using resistors as the "heating" elements. How are you compensating for the current requirements? As Jethro used to say: "The guz-in-too's have to equal the cumz-out-aa's".

Oh, and by the way, I would be interested in a beta.

Brad

That sounds awesome!!! I would like to help aswell. I would even offer a security deposit. I started out using an LG and now am up to using the sportsman. I just hatched 42 of 52. I had a 6 set staggerd hatch. This sounds much more reliable. I was kinda thinking on building 1 myself. I love electronics and tinkering with things. I spend almost as much time in my shop as I do in the house. LOL I always want to improve things and make them more user friendly. When I got the sportsman, the first thing I thought about was how to improve the heating element and wafer design. Its like you read my mind. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the turning device. I had eggs in the bator so opening up the back had to wait. What about investors? I deffinately will be keeping up with this thread!!!!!

Good luck and God Bless!

Hi Brad. If I got crazy enough, I could probably send it to the moon. I understand where you're coming from , but I am a reasonable person and not a money hungry corporation. Some of the prices out there are ridiculous. With the features I am talking about, they normally sell for about $400. My target is WELL below that. I may not have the fancy plastic case, but won't make a 300% margin either. I am trying to find middle ground between the stone age and the space age.

I am not looking to get rich. I am trying to solve a problem. The problem is that I don't like spending money on something I know I can do myself and if I can help a couple of my peeps out, all the better.

I am not sure I understand your question about how I am compensating for heating requirements? It actually uses very little power. The amount of heat required to acchieve 100F in an insulated confined space is not very high.

Jason

I was curious as to what the wattage rating was on the resistors you are using I have worked on a number of DDC controllors related to the HVAC/R , I have had similer nightmares/dreams as yours . I just finished a hatch using a refrigeration walk in cooler t-stat latest idea is some sort of humidifier I built a few of them once for a assisted living facility and installed them in the living quarters now to make them much smaller so they will fit in a bator
big_smile.png
just another dr frankenstein here
smile.png
good luck with your project pal

Jason,

I sent you a message this morning, but just to make sure you see it I would love to test for you! I would also be happy to pay for shipping. Let me know if you would like me to test for you.
smile.png

Put me in
smile.png

My hubby is a electrical engineer, and he can improve your incubator or he can give you his advice for that after trial.
I recently bought 3 incubators all from different manufacturers. R-com 20 and Brinsea 20 eco and Havo-bator which has automatic turner.
I can compare them with yours.
It is very interesting!

I too would be a willing tester. I have only been hatching for 2 years but I have gotten it down pretty successfully. I was wondering if you would consider selling the insides so I could use it in my own box? I have people calling all the time wanting to "borrow" my incubators. I have lent them out only to have them returned dirty or missing pieces. This would be a great way to help a lot of people.
Thanks for your time, energy and know how that you are putting into this project in what sounds like a very busy schedule already.
Holly
PS: I like the idea of all the bells and whistles. Could it have a temp and humidity gauge too?

Back
Top Bottom