22 day old chick possible broken leg

Jun 4, 2021
22 day old chick possible broken leg. She is also gasping for air. We have a check that is having a hard time standing on one leg she acts like she’s in pain. Having to separate her from the rest of the brood. She is one of nine in the brooder. Suggestions

Hatched, shipped, or retail purchase? And did it happen all at one or have you noticed any problems with this chick before?

If it's actually broken I wouldn't hold out much hope. It might be a bad sprain if you hatched her in an incubator or got her from a breeder. If she was shipped or came from a retail store a break is more likely. If she was hatched by a broody it could go either way. Normally they're very careful, but even being careful it's possible to step on a chick or let it get in trouble. And sometimes a broody will attack a chick for no reason you can see.

And yes, vidéo would be helpful.

Last edited:
524C8615-397D-4F2C-8884-F5E97FFBA10E.jpeg
I don’t know how to attach a video

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 3
Hatched, shipped, or retail purchase? And did it happen all at one or have you noticed any problems with this chick before?

If it's actually broken I wouldn't hold out much hope. It might be a bad sprain if you hatched her in an incubator or got her from a breeder. If she was shipped or came from a retail store a break is more likely. If she was hatched by a broody it could go either way. Normally they're very careful, but even being careful it's possible to step on a chick or let it get in trouble. And sometimes a broody will attack a chick for no reason you can see.

And yes, vidéo would be helpful.
She was hatched from an incubator. She is the youngest of 9 chicks. The brooder is sand and shredded paper bottom. No other injuries in the group. She was fine yesterday and today when we went to clean we noticed she wasn’t standing. She would try the tip over.

She was hatched from an incubator. She is the youngest of 9 chicks. The brooder is sand and shredded paper bottom. No other injuries in the group. She was fine yesterday and today when we went to clean we noticed she wasn’t standing. She would try the tip over.
When you say gasping for air would you say it's labored breathing like the bird is in pain or like there may be other injuries sides the leg?

And are all bir&s from the same hatch or does youngest mean she's more than a week younger than some of them?

The setup you're describing isn't one where I'd think she might hurt herself so I'm looking for things that might have hurt her. Is the brooder someplace where mice might able to get in and out of it?

Labored like she is in pain bc it happens when she is trying to be active.

The hatch spanned a course of 9 days. The oldest hatched 4 days before the others. Then the others were 2-3 a day.

The brooder is in my front room. It is a large plastic container with a grate on top. No mice. I have two cats but they watch and don’t bother them. The older cat 11 years old is trying to help watch Chip while she is in isolation. Isolation is a plastic dog crate with a towel and paper shavings down for comfort.

Back
Top Bottom