22% game bird starter okay for baby chicks?

HippieChickyMama

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Tecumseh, Kansas
Hello,
I bought a bag of 22% game bird starter by mistake and didn't realize it until I had the bag open and poured it into my feed container. Is it okay to feed this to my chicks? I have standard chicken varieties such as road island reds, buff orps, slow grow broilers, black astrolorps and ameracuans. some are 5 weeks old and some are 2 weeks old. Please advise. Also, at what age to I need to provide grit?

Game Bird feed is fine & IMHO better than a lot of the chicken starters. I always feed mine 30% Game Bird Starter. Most Game Bird feeds usually contain the much-needed animal protein. A lot of the chicken starters & feeds have only plant proteins.

Your chicks will need grit when they start to eat things other than Starter feed (i.e. when they go outside, for instance). They will pick up small stones on their own if outside (and stones are available). Quartz sand -- and I use the playground variety as litter-- serves the same function when they are chicks.

That is what I feed all of my baby chicks. I get it because I buy vacinated chicks and they say you cant feed them medicated feed and the 22% game bird feed is non medicated.

Yep it's what I feed all of mine on. They feather faster and I don't like using medicated feed if I don't have to. It's difficult to find non medicated starter here.

thumbsup.gif
Thank you all for your responses. I am grateful for the folks on this site who are so willing to help there fellow flocksters.
I just love my chickens so much!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

It will be just fine. I feed all of my birds 28% gamebird starter, from day old chicks to my laying hens!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom