22 week BJG and Red Dorking - Comparison

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Today we butchered two excess cockerels. One Black Jersey Giant and one Red Dorking. Both hatched same date, purchased at a hatchery, and they are 22 weeks old.

The Dorking was crowing and trying to mount hens already (and for a few weeks), but the BJG are slower growing, and this one was not trying to crow or mount. When butchered, the testicles of the Dorking were quite a bit larger than the BJG, also indicating that the BJG was not yet mature.

The BJG was bigger than the Dorking and also had more visceral fat present. Hand plucked (did not scald). We plan to cook these in a few days.

See pics for more info:

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 11.52.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 11.51.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 11.51.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 11.52.02 PM.png

I would guess the BJG will be much more tender. Interested in results once cooked.

that is my thought too. I was expecting the Dorkings to not be this mature quite yet, or only just starting to crow, etc. I knew from experience that the BJG would not hit that stage until closer to 8 months. We are letting them rest for at least 3 days. They might be our Christmas dinner, haven’t decided.

that is my thought too. I was expecting the Dorkings to not be this mature quite yet, or only just starting to crow, etc. I knew from experience that the BJG would not hit that stage until closer to 8 months. We are letting them rest for at least 3 days. They might be our Christmas dinner, haven’t decided.
My BJG crowed at 12 weeks. Squatch grew very fast and was up to my knees around 20 weeks. His brother was bigger, but I didn't even want roosters to begin with. The joys of getting chickens that are vent sexed wrong :rolleyes:

Great pictures. I'm also interested in how they taste and how tender they are. Will you be oven roasting them?

Yes, that is the current plan. However, it is going to be fairly warm and nice the next several days, so we might do a wood fire in the fire pit and use the grill plate over the fire (well, really hot coals) - so yummy! But, also don't want to dry out the birds - would rather they be moist and the oven would at least be a more steady/constant temp.

Yes, that is the current plan. However, it is going to be fairly warm and nice the next several days, so we might do a wood fire in the fire pit and use the grill plate over the fire (well, really hot coals) - so yummy! But, also don't want to dry out the birds - would rather they be moist and the oven would at least be a more steady/constant temp.
Could wrap in tin foil ...with onions, celery and carrots....some garlic
Will keep moist on the grill

Could wrap in tin foil ...with onions, celery and carrots....some garlic
Will keep moist on the grill

We might do this bc it will keep them moist. We also find success in evenly cooking meats on the grill (over the fire pit) by inverting a large roasting pan over the meat. This way the hot air circulates around the meat - it is very helpful to do this when we cook out in colder weather! We will be discussing the various methods. The current grill plate is smaller bc it is for camping (so more portable) and may not fit both birds, particularly if we butterfly them. However, my spouse if getting new grill plates for Christmas, ones that are larger and more for a permanent fire pit placement, so I can't add those into the equation yet, as we discuss our options!

Back
Top Bottom