22 weeks and not a single egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stephhassler, Oct 28, 2009.

1. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    I"m starting to lose hope. I ordered the special assorted from MMcM. So I have a RIR, 3 BR's, a few assorted polish, 2 bramahs, a sl wyandotte, dark cornish. Why are they not laying yet?

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Twenty-two weeks isn't all that old. They may simply not be ready to lay yet.

I know what you're going through, though. It's always so hard to wait on those first eggs. I have 2 Welsummer pullets that laid their first eggs recently. One at 26 weeks, the other at 28 weeks. They looked like they were ready to lay FOREVER, it seemed!

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Hang in there I have older hens than that, I'm not getting eggs from! [​IMG]

4. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I just got my first egg yesterday from a 21 week old White Plymouth Rock. Are your girls doing the "squat?" That was a REAL signal that they were/are gearing up!

5. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

22 weeks isn't that late...kinda in the middle. I have 26 week olds who I am still waiting on. I'll try not to get toooo impatient till they've passed the 30+ mark. And then I have a Jersey Giant that is currently 21 weeks...I'll not expect from her till spring!

6. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    20 weeks for me and not a squat in sight!

7. n2cork

n2cork New Egg

Jun 11, 2009
    does diet have an effect on when they begin to lay? do they need oyster shell in their diet before they begin to lay?

8. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    One of mine started at 24 1/2 weeks and the second started at 25 weeks to the day. Now we are at 25 1/2 weeks and still waiting on the other eleven.

I had given up and had stopped looking so closely. With the shorter days and cold weather I figured there was a chance we might not see much for a while. Then one day I walked into the coop and an egg was sitting in the middle of the floor [​IMG] Two days later a second egg, two days after that we had 2 at once. Don't worry - it will happen.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by