22 weeks and not a single egg!

stephhassler

Songster
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
Eastern Iowa
I"m starting to lose hope. I ordered the special assorted from MMcM. So I have a RIR, 3 BR's, a few assorted polish, 2 bramahs, a sl wyandotte, dark cornish. Why are they not laying yet?

Twenty-two weeks isn't all that old. They may simply not be ready to lay yet.

I know what you're going through, though. It's always so hard to wait on those first eggs. I have 2 Welsummer pullets that laid their first eggs recently. One at 26 weeks, the other at 28 weeks. They looked like they were ready to lay FOREVER, it seemed!

Hang in there I have older hens than that, I'm not getting eggs from!
idunno.gif

I just got my first egg yesterday from a 21 week old White Plymouth Rock. Are your girls doing the "squat?" That was a REAL signal that they were/are gearing up!

22 weeks isn't that late...kinda in the middle. I have 26 week olds who I am still waiting on. I'll try not to get toooo impatient till they've passed the 30+ mark. And then I have a Jersey Giant that is currently 21 weeks...I'll not expect from her till spring!

does diet have an effect on when they begin to lay? do they need oyster shell in their diet before they begin to lay?

One of mine started at 24 1/2 weeks and the second started at 25 weeks to the day. Now we are at 25 1/2 weeks and still waiting on the other eleven.

I had given up and had stopped looking so closely. With the shorter days and cold weather I figured there was a chance we might not see much for a while. Then one day I walked into the coop and an egg was sitting in the middle of the floor
big_smile.png
Two days later a second egg, two days after that we had 2 at once. Don't worry - it will happen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom