22 weeks old and still not laying ????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jersey Boy, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Jersey Boy

Jersey Boy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    [​IMG]
    I have 3 RIR and 3 Welsumer all 22 weeks old and still no eggs. Is this normal ? I started feeding them layer feed at 19 weeks. I was told 19-20 weeks they should lay. I didn't want to prematurely post this so I gave them two extra weeks. They don't appear to be squatting as other threads stated they would do when they were close to laying. I'm pretty sure they are not rooters. I would have heard them by now I think. Is there something that would cause an egg layer to never produce a single egg ? At what point do you count your losses make soup and start over ?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]
    This was one of my good layers and see notice how red her comb appears. When your pullets are ready to lay eggs the comb will be even brighter than this

Her comb will get bright vivid Cherry red.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As bright as these roosters. That is when you know. Look for the beacon the light up and it take about 24 hours.

Your pullet is close - Any day it can happen! Depends on breed too, Some layed at 22 weeks others at 34 weeks.

Caroline

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  3. barnaclebob

barnaclebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    Most of my hens started around 22-25 weeks. Look for them to be making a lot of noise, pacing back and forth, and going into the nesting box.

Also how many hours of daylight are you getting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by