23 day old baby pigeon not walking very well!

lightchick

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Minnesota
I went out of town for a day and when I got back the pigeons had knocked down a small board on top of nest of 22 to 23 day old babies (It wasn't a very big or heavy board), I took it off and they seemed fine and every thing except the older baby was not walking very well and today he seemed a bit better.
Here's a video
0.jpg
Anything I could do to help him/her? Is this normal? His/her younger brother can walk better, but they were both stuck under the board for awhile.

Last edited:
Spraddle Leg is a condition that a chick is either born with or develops within the first few hours of life whereby one or both legs slip out to the sides making them unable to stand or walk.
Spraddle leg can occur during incubation or the hatching process if the temperature is too high or varies too much during the incubation period or if the hatch is difficult for the chick. A less common cause can be a vitamin deficiency. If you suspect a vitamin deficiency, i.e. if some of the chicks have curled toes and/or head-tilting issues, try adding some Nutri-Drench to their diet asap.

The more common cause is an incubator or brooder floor that is too slippery for the chick to grip, which causes the legs to slide to one side. As a result the chick's legs muscles don't develop properly because of the lack of traction.
Spraddle leg is easily correctable, but if not addressed quickly, the chick will not be able to get to feed and water and can die.

What you need to do is hobble the chick's legs. The easiest way is to cut a thin piece of vet wrap (approximately 1/4" wide and 5" long) and loosely wrap it around each leg, connecting the ends in the middle, about an inch apart, in sort of a figure eight.

The chick's legs should be about normal width apart when extended. If the chick can't stand up, you can make them a bit wider apart for better balance, but then bring them a bit closer together each day. You can wrap some First Aid Tape around the middle to keep it secured
Then be sure the chick has something it can easily walk on like paper towel, a bath towel or shelf liner. At first the chick will have trouble standing up, but soon will be able to get around. Ensure the chick has easy access to feed and water, but a shallow water dish with marbles or small stones in it is required so the chick doesn't fall in and drown. Also it's best to keep the chick separate from other chicks at least until she learns to stand so she won't be trampled.
At first it is helpful to support the chick and just let her try to stand and get used to having her legs underneath her. Helping her get her balance will be beneficial and hasten her recovery. Unwrap the legs and check the chick's progress once or twice a day. Leave the hobble on until the chick can stand and walk on its own. This could take from a few days to up to a week. You should see results fairly quickly and soon your chick will be up and about.

So you don't think it was the board? I don't know why he would have spraddle leg, because his parents raised him and he was in a nest. Maybe in the incubation (his mother is first time mother), is there anything other then vet wrap to use (like bandage wrap for people)?

So you don't think it was the board? I don't know why he would have spraddle leg, because his parents raised him and he was in a nest. Maybe in the incubation (his mother is first time mother), is there anything other then vet wrap to use (like bandage wrap for people)?

First excellent post by MySweetChickens.

Some times squabs are just dealt a poor hand genetically.
It happens for no apparent reason.
They may out grow if it is aided in time like MySweetChickens suggested. Sometime you maybe just better off to cull as harsh as it is.
That is what would happen if in the wild as insensitive as it may sound...

Last edited:
I'm trying the bandage wrap and I hope he gets better soon. I will NEVER cull any birds, I'd sooner let him free.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom