23 week old hens not laying yet

Oh wow! I didn't know that. Good to know. So chickens are the opposites of humans, basically. (Women/hen decides the sex of the chick instead of the man/rooster like with humans. And usually human women start puberty before boys/men).
Yes, chickens are opposite of humans in both of those respects.

The Ameraucana, barred rocks, & olive/easter eggers have bright red combs & wattles. And the two roosters have had large, bright combs and wattles for the past month, in spite of one of them molting slightly around his neck and under his beak a bit. I wonder why they came of age around when I was expecting, but the hens aren't. :hmm
Cockerels are males who are less than one year old, and always develop faster than pullets (females less than a year old). Not to worry. Pullets which have bright red headgear will lay soon. I know, it's hard to be patient.

That is really bad luck, did you tell them and got send the two pullets after your complaint?

Nonetheless you might want to find a new home for the surplus cockerels, or enlarge your flock, coop and run accordingly.
No, I didn’t contact them. There’s not much they could do anyway, since they’re not gonna send me 1 or 2 new chicks, and even if they did, I’d then have 2 younger chicks to introduce to the flock. I prefer introducing new chicks in larger groups. And then, we’d have to get a bigger coop and run, which we can’t afford. Due to all the predators we have around here and how beefy we’d have to make everything, it’d be at least another $5-10k (materials have gotten pricey!!) since we’d have to completely rebuild the coop (it’s currently meant to hold max 12 birds) and maybe increase the length of the run a bit. My husband refuses to hire anyone, so with his work schedule and winter coming, that’d probably all get completed sometime around late summer - fall 2024 at the earliest. 🙃

But I like both roosters, so at least for the time being, we’re gonna keep him. Our friends and neighbors usually have mountain lion, bobcat or bear attacks in the fall, so I may be able to give our Ameraucana rooster away to a neighbor in need of theirs gets killed this fall. We’ll see. I’m not ready to kill him just yet.

Do they free range? Could they be hiding nests if the older hens aren’t allowing them in their nest boxes?. I only say this cause I had to add two nest boxes away from my original ones cause my pullets were too scared and kept laying on the coop floor.
No, they don’t free range. I tried that with our first flock, and they eventually all got picked off by the various predators we have around here (bobcats, bears, mountain lions, hawks, etc). I’ve searched everywhere in their run and coop, and still no eggs.

Back
Top Bottom