23 Week Old Pullets not Laying

I've got three 26 week old Pullets, all different breeds and none are laying yet. One has been squatting for a week though

Thanks, everybody!!
thumbsup.gif

So it's possible or more likley that they won't start laying until spring?
th.gif
I believe I read the average age is 27 weeks. That is breed, season, weather and individual bird dependant. Are their combs red and are they squatting for you? If so, you might put some fake eggs in the box as their time is probably near.

Hi there. Mine are 23 weeks and mine aren't laying as well. My breeds, except for my RIR, don't show big of combs when they are ready but they all show a redness of combs, wattles. Here are some pics to help you. I have two 7 month old Barred Rocks, and a couple red stars that are 1-2 years in some of these photos, so don't get discouraged comparing redness and size of combs/wattles.
Here's my Barred Rock. Lays large eggs. See how red her head area is? That's what it will look like.
Here, you can see my 23 weeks old RIR and SLW. The difference in redness compared to my barred rock is huge. So, maybe 1-2 weeks on the RIR.
Here is my other SLW. One is a little more mature, but either way redness isn't there.
23 week old Easter Egger. Redness is almost there. These breeds and SlW don't get big wattles, or combs. Also, to see if they are a few weeks from laying, you can check below their vent and feel 2 pelvic bones. My RIR and Easter Egger I can fit almost 2.5 finger between, so they are close
Also, it can take about 1 week to go from pink to bright red, so don't get too discouraged on that if your chickens aren't bright red yet

Back
Top Bottom