23 weeks and no eggs

Waiting is such a drag! Many of mine are going through a molt, so even the ones that were laying (older girls I bought because I was impatient waiting for my original chicks to get old enough, lol) stopped laying. But there is hope! Some of my original girls have started to lay in the last week:
1 RIR - 25 weeks old
1 BA - 25 weeks old
2 BO - 32 weeks old
1 LH - 25.5 weeks old
I'm new to chickens, just started in April of this year, but I have seen posts on here that say that molting and waning daylight hours effect egg production, or postpone the start of laying. Several people have lights in their coops set with timers to give their hens at least 14 hours of light each day.
Are any of them squatting when you get near them? That can be a sign that they are nearing POL, but not all do it. And none of mine do.
What is the color & size of their combs? The combs get larger and go from pink to red when the hormones kick in.

Waiting is such a drag! Many of mine are going through a molt, so even the ones that were laying (older girls I bought because I was impatient waiting for my original chicks to get old enough, lol) stopped laying. But there is hope! Some of my original girls have started to lay in the last week:
1 RIR - 25 weeks old
1 BA - 25 weeks old
2 BO - 32 weeks old
1 LH - 25.5 weeks old
I'm new to chickens, just started in April of this year, but I have seen posts on here that say that molting and waning daylight hours effect egg production, or postpone the start of laying. Several people have lights in their coops set with timers to give their hens at least 14 hours of light each day.
Are any of them squatting when you get near them? That can be a sign that they are nearing POL, but not all do it. And none of mine do.
What is the color & size of their combs? The combs get larger and go from pink to red when the hormones kick in.
no i havent noticed any squatting and their combs are dark pink to light red. i am not sure which are pullets and which are cockriels because they are Easter eggers and have a pea comb which i am not used to so i dont know the difference bettween male and female. I just started in may of this year so i am still learning. I love my chickens to death they are so funny and have the best personalitys.

by 23 weeks... if you had a cockerel, you'd know it... EE or not, can you post some pictures? my EE's are 27 1/2 weeks and only one is laying, she started at 26 weeks... here are 2 EE cockerels that are 23 weeks old...
Archie has a very small comb, and small tail, but he is enormous

This is Si... all boy

This is Royce with pullets Blu and Isis, all EE's and all 27 1/2 weeks old

Royce has no beard or muffs, but he's got green legs and a pea comb

anyway... hang in there and show some pics of your gang! or come to the EE Bragger's Thread and share them there!

)
does anyone know if they are close to laying

first pic, comb is looking almost non-existent... second pic, comb is still wee and pinkish, most likely a few more weeks... can't see their fluffy butts, but the second pic, she still looks "narrow"
my best guess... you have another 3 weeks to wait, maybe 2...
in my 3rd pic above, the pullet on the left is laying, the pullet on the right (is now) but wasn't laying at the time of the pic, I know you can't see the fluff on her either, but she is noticeably "narrower" than the one on the left... they are the same age, but started laying about 2 weeks apart

Thanx so much. Will they start laying in the winter or am I not going to get eggs until spring?

Back
Top Bottom