23 weeks and no eggs

PEONEAL

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Hi all,

Here are our 2 ladies (Coco Peep-Amercauna and Layla Pickle-Plymoth Rock). We are first time chicken owners and have had them since they were around 2-3 weeks old. They are a wonderful addition to our family. We had thought that we would have eggs by now. I hoped that some of you would share signs that we can look for that they may be preparing.

The only different thing that I noticed was yesterday I looked in their upstairs area which is where their nesting boxes are and all the hay was moved around and one nesting box had no hay in it.

Other than that I have seen nothing different. Any ideas on what we should except?

Thanks! Jenny

ameracaunas a slower maturing - my new one (Already have 2) is the same age as yours, and hasn't laid either! We can wait and pep talk and show them the crock pot together.
lol.png
6 months is around average for Ameracaunas. My barred rock laid at 18 weeks. Not sure when they are *supposed* to lay. Chickens don't like to follow rules.

Usually you will see their combs and wattles redden not long before they begin to lay. Ameraucanas tend to be later maturing than Rocks. Another sign is they start "squatting," or flattening as in preparation to be mated, as you approach. The nest rearranging might or might not have to do with eggs coming soon.

Or, one of them could be hiding eggs somewhere, if they have that kind of access.

Have you heard the saying " these thing take time, or a watched kettle never boils "?
Don't worry any day now. Sometimes you'll see them squatting round the yard, looking constipated, but it won't be long before you hear that " egg song ". They won't necessarily lay where you want them to and sometimes the first few eggs aren't quite what you expect , but be patient it will happen. Just think how good those poached eggs on toast are going to taste!

I, too, have two Barred Rocks that are almost 22 weeks old and have not laid eggs. One has had a very red comb and has also been 'squatting' for 2-3 weeks. I'm pretty sure she has not laid out in the yard during free ranging hours. I sit and watch them because we have many predators. I have combed the coop and run for eggs, alas, there are none. I guess they just need more time.

Question: Do they continue to squat after they start laying?

I, too, have two Barred Rocks that are almost 22 weeks old and have not laid eggs.  One has had a very red comb and has also been 'squatting' for 2-3 weeks.  I'm pretty sure she has not laid out in the yard during free ranging hours.  I sit and watch them because we have many predators.  I have combed the coop and run for eggs, alas, there are none.  I guess they just need more time.  

Question: Do they continue to squat after they start laying?

The squatting can go on for a while, but most seem fulfilled once they have done there daily duty. I have a light sussex hen that presents to me everytime I enter the pen. Must be my hairdo, she thinks I'm a roo!
1f606.png

Back
Top Bottom