-23C. Put on heat lamp?

loracarroll

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2018
Ontario, Canada
It’s -23C tonight. My coop is not insulated. It is well vented, and has lots of wood chips and straw. Should I put the heat lamp on? I’m nervous about it being a fire hazard, but am equally nervous about it being too cold for my birds...

I am not an expert on Chickens in temps that cold so I wish someone else would make suggestions but I would get a heat lamp in there. I know nothing about how cold hardy Guineas are but Ameraucanas have a small comb and that helps when temps get bitter cold.

It’s -23C tonight. My coop is not insulated. It is well vented, and has lots of wood chips and straw. Should I put the heat lamp on? I’m nervous about it being a fire hazard, but am equally nervous about it being too cold for my birds...
That's a really hard call to make over the internet.
If you're going to use some heat, a flat panel heater would be much safer than heat lamp...tho might depend on size of coop and how you install lamp.
Oh, I see you don't have a tiny coop, good space for 5 birds, so that's good:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/cold-snaps-coop-too-small.1281689/
ETA: just realized you have 10 birds in there.....tight space.

I can't give any real advice, as we are not that cold here, sustained temps that low may indeed need some heat. Might ask here too:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/canadians-check-in-here.144/page-450

Last edited:
We both had similar temps overnight. I did buy an acurite wireless thermometer, the sensor hangs up near where they roost. The overnight temps got down to -5°F, with wicked winds giving us a wind chill of -20°F. The coop stayed around 20°F with no heat- just their body heat. The coop is vented well, and slightly insulated. Once their auto door opened this morning, it dropped to 14°F. I haven't turned on any heat in the coop, but once we get any colder, I may. My friend not far got through -27°F for 3 weeks last year no heat..... chickens did ok.

They were a little slow this morning, and I served them warm oatmeal which really helps. Biggest thing is frost bite on their combs & waddles and their feet. Your roost should be wide enough to allow them to be able to cover their feet with their bodies.

Keep us posted

Breeds are a huge factor. And if you use heat lamps you run risk of the birds losing control over their own body heat. Chickens are very good at keeping warm as their body temperature is much higher then that of a humans. So what is very cold to us may just be a chilly breeze to the birds. They can regulate their own body heat very well. I would only use a heat lamp if you notice your birds huddled up all day/most of the day. They will huddle to get warm but shouldnt be for long periods at a time. I hope this helps. And this is just my personal experience opinion

Back
Top Bottom