24+ Brahma / Cochin Mix

itsiebitsiefarm

Professional Egg Stacker
9 Years
Dec 31, 2010
Lake Wales, FL
Due to the fact, that all 4 of my bators, are stacked beyond what most, would think is possible......and I have no room, for these large eggs...... I am offering 24+, of my Brahma / Cochin mixed eggs.

Eggs will be from both of my Rare colored Brahma roos..... and some of my largest, nicest, BBS and White colored Cochin hens.
I will send an even mix, from both roo's breeding pens....unless you have a preference, and only want eggs, from 1 roos pen.

Pen#1 (Gomer's Pen) Gomer, is a blue buff columbian. Weighs 14+ pounds, and is just a huge, beautiful, gentle giant.
He is paired up with 8 hens. 7 Cochin hens, and 1 partridge Brahma hen. So, you have a chance for a pure Brahma chick, or two.
The partridge hen is lazy, and only lays 2 eggs a week....so no guarantees.
The cochin hens in this pen are....2 blues, 1 splash, and 4 white.
We hatch out equal number of BBS colored chicks, with a barred colored chick, from time to time.
75% of the BBS chicks, feather into the classic BBS colors, with beautiful orange/red/lemon colored feathers on their neck, breast, and saddle areas.

Gomer and his girls....
74850_007.jpg

74850_wp_000437.jpg

74850_003_2.jpg

74850_008.jpg

74850_gomernhens.jpg

74850_022.jpg

8 week old Gomer/Cochin chicks...

74850_gomerchick.jpg

74850_gomersplash2.jpg

74850_gomersplashchick.jpg

74850_gomersplashroo.jpg

Pen #2 (Casey's Pen) Casey is a splash blue buff columbian. (double blue gene) Also known in the UK, as a Lemon Pyle.
He is Gomer's brother.
We recently purchased Casey, from another BYC member....and have only hatched out 20 of his chicks, at current date. From that 20, we are seeing mostly BBS, and Blue Partridge chicks. Chicks are still very young, but are starting to show the start of orange coloring, coming in on their necks and saddle area.
Casey, is paired up with 9 cochin hens. 2 Black, 4 White, 1 Splash, and 2 Blues.

Casey, and his girls....

74850_wp_000472.jpg

Casey and his girls, are in the far back of this pic. My 4 month old pure splash cochin babies, are in the front of this pic.
74850_wp_000462.jpg

74850_caseyandhens.jpg

74850_wp_000468.jpg

74850_wp_000475.jpg

More pics, can be seen, on our website. www.itsiebitsiefarm.com

This is a paypal ONLY auction!!
Please PM or email me, if you have any other questions.

Thanks, and Happy Bidding!

Beautiful Roo! Absolutely gorgeous! ETA: Do you think you could start working on reproducing this color if you put him over a buff brahma hen, and then crossed him back to his daughters?

Last edited:
Thank you very much, for the compliment, on our roo.

Yes, we are currently growing out some Buff colored Brahma pullets...for next years breeding projects. We also have some buff brahma eggs, in our bators.
We only have these roos in, with our cochins, till our buff pullets reach breeding age. Then, we will start on our Blue Buff Brahma project, in full swing.
big_smile.png

I was advised, by 2 of the most well know Brahma genetic experts out there....to breed both of these roos, to Buff hens. I should get 50% blue offspring.
Keep the best blue pullets, and breed them back to their fathers. So, that will be one of our color projects, for next year.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
So exciting! I must live vicariously through other BYC members for projects such as this since I don't have the space! But, he sure is gorgeous and I hope you are able to reproduce it!
Quote:

Quote:
Just to clear up our past conversations. If it was me, I would get the best buff brahma hens I could get hold of, and put the splash male(Casey) over them. I like his build a little better from the pictures on your website, and this mating should produce 100% blue buff columbian chicks( the other male should through 50% black buff chicks). Now if you want to clean up the hocks, (a DQ over here), I would then breed the best young blue male back to the good old buff/black hens. This will improve type and if you continue with this type of breeding long enough you will be able to breed vulture hocks out of the line. I would not use either of the two males you have now after the first breeding, to continue to use them as breeders will make this almost impossible.

Yes, you were one of the "Brahma Genetic Experts" I was referring to.
smile.png

I will say, it took me quite some time, to find breeders of Quality Buffs. I even contacted a couple people, from the American Brahma Club, that I have purchased from/or met before.....and other local Brahma breeders/fanciers. I did get a couple leads. I did purchase hatching eggs, and a couple buff pullets.
Now, it's all a "wait and see" what they mature into, game.

I wanted to buy the best I could find...and was willing to pay, for "Quality Buffs" or hatching eggs. I have what I have, right this minute...but always on the look out, for other breeders, who offer nice LF buffs.

As I have said before... I always appreciate, any and all pointers, you can offer me, Gary. I drool over your Brahmas, and honor what you have accomplished, in your Brahma color projects.
bow.gif

Nice birds!!!

Gary knows a lot and his got one nice flock too bad he don't like me
hide.gif

JK
245.gif

The main reason I posted was to straighten out which way I would recommend crossing the first generation chicks back to the original parent stock. Would make a major difference if flipped. The main reason I stressed the quality of the buffs you use was if you are going to go through all the effort to do a color project like this, you are light years ahead using proper typed birds in the development instead of having to go back and work on type after you get the color set. Unfortunately too often folks concentrate so much on color that type suffers.

Back
Top Bottom