24 days straight

Gargoyle

Chiseler
13 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Fox Valley, IL
My Coop
My Coop
Our pullet Tina is turning into quite a workhorse. She was hatched last May, but didn't first start laying until mid February- about 35 or 36 weeks. But she's making up for lost time. She has laid an egg every day for 24 days non stop. Her last day off was Mar 24 (today is Apr 19). Prior to that she had gone at least 8 days in a row. (before that I wasn't tracking who laid, just the total numbers.)

We have four girls a-laying, all Columbian Wyandottes, with very distinctive eggs; its easy to tell who laid which egg. Tina is the most adventurous, curious and assertive, although she hasn't challenged Goldie, the oldest, for top of the pecking order.

Tina to the left, Tessa to the right. This was at about 14 or 18 weeks.

Update- another egg today, so she's up to 25 days without a break.

Our other three are each laying around 5 eggs per week.One of them is also a pullet, about two weeks older than Tina, the two older hens are two to three years old.

Tina's eggs have a thin pointy end; Mossy's are more rounded and larger, Goldies are much larger and tend to be speckled, and Tessas are very pale with calcium deposits (she has other problems- wry tail, her eggs have thin shells, doesn't process the calcium well). It's easy to look at the eggs and know who laid each one.

Last edited:
Your hens are gorgeous and wow, Tina is making up for lost time! Good girl.

Love the variety of colors from the same breed. My Red Star sometimes gives us a purple pinkish looking egg...I know who laid each egg in my flock too. Only 4 laying now. I have 20 hens..wonder if I will be able to tell when all 20 are laying?!?!?!

She hadn't yet laid at noon today, so I put them all in my little chicken wagon (link in my signature) and trundled them out to the garden. After about 10 or 15 minutes Tina started circling the wagon, lifting her neck to see if she could jump in. She is a very smart one; she knows it is the way to get back to the coop. She had circled the wagon at least six times and was pecking at it by the time I hurried out there. I picked her up, took her back to the coop, she went straight inside to the next box. The egg she just laid there is number 26.

After she laid I took her back to the garden so she doesn't miss out on the fun.

Last edited:
I like this hen
thumbsup.gif
I wonder how long she's going to continue this streak.

I like this hen
thumbsup.gif
I wonder how long she's going to continue this streak.

None of our chooks are exhibition type, but she's the closest to true to standard of our four Columbian Wyandotte hens; and she is smart and well mannered. I'm not interested in breeding/hatching at this point, but some day I'll need to share some eggs to someone who wants to give it a shot.

Last edited:
I would hatch some of her eggs and hope she'll pass on her good egg laying qualities. I had an ancient Australorp X hen once. She was the unfriendliest thing on the farm, but boy, did she lay! By the time we moved and rehomed her she was about 7 years old and still going strong. We hatched a couple of her eggs and her daughters were great layers too.

I would hatch some of her eggs and hope she'll pass on her good egg laying qualities.
Can't do it this year, but she's young. Only 11 months. Next year I might be able to handle the additions to our little flock.

She just laid another, about 23-1/2 hours after she laid yesterday. That makes 27 days straight.

Back
Top Bottom