24 hour getaway

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tlharv, Oct 24, 2009.

1. tlharv

tlharv Out Of The Brooder

The roosting area where my six hens sleep (where I lock them up at night) has 4 sq ft per hen. With hanging food & water containers, it's a bit less than that. Outside, they have a 25' x 25' uncovered run fenced in with chicken wire and I usually let them out every day.

We're going for an overnight getaway, and I'm trying to decide whether I should leave them locked inside the roosting area, or alternatively leave their little outside door open so they can go in & out as they want. I'm leaning toward the latter, sacrificing freedom for protection, but if they'd be ok locked up with food & water then I wouldn't have to worry about predators at all.

What do you think?

2. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    Lock em up. Better safe then sorry!

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I agree. Lock them up. I've gone away for 24 hours too and they were just fine. Have a good time where ever you are headed![​IMG]

4. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Personally - I'd lock them up. That way I could enjoy my vacation without constantly worrying if something got them.

5. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    lock them up....they will be fine.

6. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Lock'em in.

7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Yep, lock them up. Ours have 4 sq ft/chicken inside and we leave them locked up when we have a 24 hr away time.

8. tlharv

tlharv Out Of The Brooder

I locked them in. They were just fine, although a little P.O.'d when they heard me approaching after getting back. They had food & water for about five days in there, so it was just a matter of "boredom" for them.

9. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Oh good...glad all went fine.

I didn't think to mention we will leave them a head of cabbage or a bundle of weeds with seed heads - or a flake of hay to dig through. Keeps them a little more entertained. Although yeah - they're still ready to get out when we return.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by