24 Hours Exactly - Hawks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FrontPorchIndiana, Jun 17, 2008.

1. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    We've seen hawks circle around way up high for the past two years we've lived here. So we built the coop and run accordingly. My son and I just finished putting up the bird netting on top of the run yesterday at noon. The chickens are thrilled to have all the space.

Today, at noon, I was out working on the bachelor coop and here come two HUGE hawks way down low enough to say "Pardon us, we'd like to make a dinner reservation." So for those of you wondering about whether or not you need something on top of your run... it depends on if you want to keep your chickens longer than 24 hours! I'm starting to worry we should have put up something even stronger. [​IMG]

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

A tough decision but I know what you mean about hawks. Some, like the sparrow hawk, will sit on a post by a net, figuring how to get through. They're even capable of grabbing through an opening like a raccoon would. I heard about a run (but haven't seen it) which has 2 layers of used fishing net over it. You don't have climbers like raccoons, weasels and possums do you?

3. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Yep, I just lost one to a red tail hawk today. [​IMG] I put up netting last fall, but a heavy snow brought it down. I've been lucky until now. I did have some lines criss-crossing the run as a hopeful deterrent. Didn't work.

Good thing you're on the ball. I'm going to have to find the wire/netting that stands up in heavy snow.

Good luck with the hawks.

4. slickchick

slickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    does anyone know of a deterrent for the hawks? how about one of those fake owls on top of the coop? what are they afraid of? Does anyone know?

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    A Gun!!!!!

6. slickchick

Jul 2, 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    good answer. we are covering our run partially, but the new part will be uncovered...I'm kinda worried! anyone? any ideas?

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

A goose. [​IMG] Seriously. I keep 2 of my extra ganders outside 24/7 from the spring to the fall, and I havent had a hawk attack since.

8. slickchick

Jul 2, 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    I don't know anything about geese!! lol....how about ducks?? we have 2 wild ones that hang out near the coop...

9. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    We are so lucky here.

We have Red-tails, Coopers, Sharp-shinned, Merlins, Red-Shouldered and Kestrels on a regular basis, but no one in our neighborhood has ever lost a chicken to a hawk.

Perhaps there is so much easy prey around that they don't bother with the chickens.

No one has chicks, though, and I imagine the chicks might be too much for any self-respecting hawk or raven to pass by.

10. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Are you sure they were hawks and not turkey vultures? Either way its time to migrate so over the next couple weeks you may see more then usual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by