24 hours since pip and no activity

Mrs. Mucket

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I have six eggs in lockdown, day 21 is tomorrow. It's been 24 hours since the first egg pipped (day 19)-- the little beak was poking out and the chick was peeping. Then it stopped--I thought to rest--but nothing has happened since. It looks like the pip opening has sealed over and there may be blood showing through (it's hard to see through the incubator window). Does this sound like the chick died, or could it still hatch? Another chick did hatch this morning and is looking healthy and strong, drying off and moving all around, so it appears that the incubator is working right.

Here is the best picture I could get of it, can anyone tell anything?

56316_hatch_mar30_pip1.jpg

I had 3 chicks zip and then quit. I though they had died but 24 hour later when I went to take them out 2 were still alive. They hatched and are fine. Give the egg more time. 25 days by what I read on here. Best of luck and congrats on your chick.
thumbsup.gif

I know people on this site say if you open the incubator during lock down you kill all the other eggs, but i always open it to put water in and check on peeps like yours. I would take out the egg and I put a finger dap on the hole where the beak is and see if it is still alive. If it is, check the membrain and see if it is dried up and tight. If it is, you will probly have to help it out little at a time picking the shell and adding warm water by your finger. If the egg is not dried up and chick is alive put it back in for a while and see if he breaks the shell more. If it is getting really week it will die in the shell, I have lost many doing nothing so I alway help it and when I do they have all lived. You have to do what you feel is right. Good luck and keep us posted.

didn't notice it is only day 20, I would wait at least another day. Can you see it trying to zip out?

that chick pipped pretty far from the air sac end..I am guessing it died.. take it out and see if you can get any response from it..
what likely happened is that some blood seeped ut round the beek and dried.. thus gluing the beek so that the chick could no longer move it's head..

Also. I did have to help the 2 live chicks out of their shells. Some people don't believe in doing that but in my case it worked out.

No I have not seen it do anything for 24 hours since it pipped and poked its beak out. Then it went back in and I haven't seen any activity. But I will give it more time, especially since Macdoogle had some rest for 24 hours after zipping. This is my first hatch
smile.png
Six in the incubator and six moved under a broody on lockdown day. The other little chick has been circling the edge of the incubator all day.

I had one like this in my recent hatch, pipped almost 180 around the egg, but then stopped.
after two days I checked, seems the membrane was too tough or dried around it even thou my humdity at lockdown was in the 70's.
I had two others that hatched quickly, so not really sure why this one pipped and died while the other two were fine.

Lots of varaialble !!!

Quote:
jvls--I think you are absolutely right. When I opened the incubator to take out a day-old chick, I pulled out the egg that quit and candled it. The pip was not near the air sac. And I could see something pointy sealed onto the membrane in the pip area...maybe the beak or the egg tooth. I tapped and got no response, saw no movement when candling. My first incubation, my first pip-- but I know that happens sometimes. I do have one chick that hatched on morning of day 20, and another one pipping right now, day 21. Trying to be patient!

Here's the cute little one that just went into the brooder:
56316_p3300065.jpg

Back
Top Bottom