24 nine-day-old chicks from assortment! (Lots of images, might be a long load)

Zewlie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
Greenwich, CT
These are all my chicks from a McMurray 'rarest of rare' assortment (technically their 'ornamental layer' sexed assortment, but I don't think I got any crested birds, and the rest are from the RoR). I have my suspicions about their breeds, but I'm new to this... so please, let me know what you think!

Any help is appreciated. Feel free to skip around and only guess for a few.

(Also, since I'm new, please let me know if I'm handing them incorrectly or if there seems to be anything wrong with them.)

Thanks!

Possible RoR assortment breeds:

Quote:

#1 ^ (keesmom/akcountrygrrl: EE)

#2 ^ - (zeely: Ancona/Lakenvelder? jarvis: Langshan/Sumatra? keesmom: Sumatra? akcountrygrrl: Spanish?)

#3 ^ - (zeely: Ancona/Lakenvelder? jarvis: Langshan? keesmom: Sumatra? akcountrygrrl: Spanish?)

#4 ^ (keesmom: Black Cochin/Langshan; akcountrygrrl: Cochin)

#5 ^ (jarvis/keesmom/akcountrygrrl: Dominique; alaskanchicken: Cuckoo Maran; BlazeJester: Silver pencilled Rock)

#6 ^ (keesmom/akcountrygrrl: EE)

#7 ^ (alaskanchicken: Buff Brahma; keesmom: Gold laced Wyandotte; akcountrygrrl: EE)

#8 ^ - Partridge Cochin

#9 ^ - Black Cochin (keesmom: or Langshan)

#10 ^ (keesmom/akcountrygrrl: EE)

#11 ^ - Buff Cochin)

#12 ^ (keesmom: Gold laced Wyandotte; akcountrygrrl: EE; Pele: Silver penciled Rock

#13 ^ - Buff Cochin

#14 ^ - Also Buff Cochin

#15 ^ (keesmom: Gold laced Wyandotte; akcountrygrrl: EE)

#16 ^ (keesmom/akcountrygrrl: EE)

#17 ^ (akcountrygrrl: EE)

#18 ^ Sicilian Buttercup? (keesmom: Campine? akcountrygrrl: EE)

#19 ^ - Buff Cochin

#20 ^ - Buff Cochin

#21 ^ (keesmom/akcountrygrrl: EE; Pele: Silver penciled Rock

#22 ^ - Oh, pretty dark legs! (keesmom: probably EE)

#23 ^ - (zeely/keesmom: Dark Brahma; akcountrygrrl: Cochin; Pele: Partridge Cochin)

#24 ^ (akcountrygrrl; WLR Cornish/Phoenix/EE)

Last edited:
2 & 3 could be lakenvelders, but they really look like anconas to me even though those aren't on the list.
23 is a dark brahma.

a faverolles would have five toes, i can't really tell from the pictures if any of the feather footed ones have five toes, so check for that.

Last edited:
Thanks, zeely! I will definitely check their feet - maybe that would explain why they're so darn difficult to catch. ;)

a bunch look like ee (ameracaunas) the chipmunk striped ones with the greenish legs and pea combs ... ones with other colored legs like yellow or diff combs ... probably are something else ...

and 5 is a dom since its the only barred one of the three possibitlys on the list .. ( should have a rose/pea comb .. )

your blk and yellow feathered footed ones could be langshans as well as cochins or faverolles .. so dont forget about them .. =) hope i helped out some .. lol

checking their avalable breeds from that list see what was sold out .. and that could help narrow it down .. google images .. type in the breed of chicken you think it could be .. .. like .. red cap chicks ( the are very distinctive dont think you have any of them.. ) looks like mostly ameracaunas tho .. =) google images helped me narrow everything down for my chicks last year .. and ill be using it a lot .. next week when my chicks arive .. =)

#5 looks like maybe a cuckoo maren. #7 Buff Brahma maybe. What kind of a comb does it have? Brahma have pea combs (i think) And I am sorry, but you don't have any salmon favorolles in there. They are very fluffy, have five toes, and have a little bit of black spots on their head and back. They look more like cochins to me. They might not be all EE's in my mix last time one I though was a ee was in fact a welsummer chick.

Faverolles have 5 toes, so check your white feather footed babies for 5 toes, and those will be Faverolles. I have 1 Faverolles, and she is very very sweet, but she gets picked on b/c she's so docile.

My guesses are:

1, 10, 16, 21 EE
7,12,15 gold laced wyandotte
5 dominique
11,13,14,19, 20 buff cochin
18 campine?
4,9 black cochin or black langshan
2,3 sumatra?
6,22 probably EE
8 partridge cochin
23 dark brahma, I suppose

24 I'm not sure of

Sorry, no Faverolles. Aside from having 5 toes, they also have muffs. I can see none of your chicks have them, so they must be cochins.

Back
Top Bottom