24 week Australorp... hen or roo?

I definitely agree with donrea! They look closer to the age of my Austrolorps which are 16 weeks (almost to the day). I don't expect mine will be laying until Spring! I looking at the better picture confirms that you have a roo. You have a beautiful flock, good luck!

Update: Spoke to the guy who sold us the chickens and he is going to take back the rooster and give us a hen in exchange. He apologized they seem to have been younger than he thought when he sold them to us, but does believe they were at least 10 weeks when we bought them in late July... So, that would make them about 19 weeks right now, which does seem believable. This does seem like a tough decision on if we should stick with layer feed or go back to pullet feed. Any other insights anyone may have on that?

Well, I don't use layer at all, so may not be the best one to answer that. But, my thinking is the layer feed has twice the calcium of grower, and a little less protein. That'a pretty much the difference. Since your birds aren't laying, they're not using that extra calcium to make egg shells, and their bodies have to excrete it. Calcium isn't something you can store extra until you need it. It goes out through the kidneys, so your birds' kidney's are working harder than they need to at this point. So, I'd put them back on grower.

Well, I don't use layer at all, so may not be the best one to answer that. But, my thinking is the layer feed has twice the calcium of grower, and a little less protein. That'a pretty much the difference. Since your birds aren't laying, they're not using that extra calcium to make egg shells, and their bodies have to excrete it. Calcium isn't something you can store extra until you need it. It goes out through the kidneys, so your birds' kidney's are working harder than they need to at this point. So, I'd put them back on grower.

Great advice! I have a mixed flock of ages 16 week pullets and 26 week hens. Right now I am mixing the layer feed which is 16% with scratch grains. The two ages seem to segregate themselves so it is easy to see that the hens get some oyster shells while the pullets eat some higher protein treat! Left-over kidney beans are a hit!

It is so funny what preconceived notions can do to your mind... When I thought this was a hen, I looked at it and clearly saw a hen and had an excuse for why its comb was so big and why it was so dominant and that it started crowing. But, now that I know it is a rooster I came home from work today and went and looked at the flock and said, "Duh, that is a rooster!" Amazing it was not obvious to me before now. Thanks all for your help and advice.

Last edited:
Hey, I had the same thing years ago. Beautiful Easter egger "hen"--she was just so colorful, and stately, and broad chested, and then.....yeah. One day I just looked at "her" and realized she was a handsome rooster! I don't recall how old he was, but he was well into his manhood. Called that poor boy Bette for the rest of his life, and he lived here about 5 years before I gave him away.

Back
Top Bottom