Black Australorps and Buff Orpington Sex?

RNS27

Hatching
Mar 4, 2024
Hi

Our names are Rocky and Sheridan and we live in Victoria Australia.

We are venturing off in the world of chickens

We have 2 Australorps and 2 buff orpingtons

Can anyone help with the sex of these? They are 9 weeks old .

We notice that Aust.1 started to someone what crow in the mornings when we had them inside their small coop (they grew in) and recently moved them outside.
We put Aust.1 inside thinking it was a cockerl and didn’t want the neighbours to be disturbed 6am in the morning crowing.
But the next morning we notice Aust.2 started to do the same thing??

Heard that some pullets or hens can act like males and crow as well?

Could you please help with the sex?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1166.jpeg
    IMG_1166.jpeg
    768.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1170.jpeg
    IMG_1170.jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1171.jpeg
    IMG_1171.jpeg
    610.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1172.jpeg
    IMG_1172.jpeg
    643.8 KB · Views: 26
We notice that Aust.1 started to someone what crow in the mornings when we had them inside their small coop (they grew in) and recently moved them outside.
We put Aust.1 inside thinking it was a cockerl and didn’t want the neighbours to be disturbed 6am in the morning crowing.
But the next morning we notice Aust.2 started to do the same thing??
Both Australorps look male to me.

Heard that some pullets or hens can act like males and crow as well?
Yes, but that is relatively rare. It is much more common for a crowing chicken to be a male.

And if you don't want to hear crowing, you would not want to keep a crowing hen either.

Could you please help with the sex?
I think you have three males (both Australorps and one Buff Orpington), and one female (the Buff Orpington with the smallest comb & wattles.)

If you want chickens for eggs, or pet chickens that do not crow, I suggest you buy more pullets (young females), and remove all three males ("remove" can mean to sell or give them to someone else, or butcher them for meat.)

It is not good for a chicken to live alone, and you only have the one female, so I would definitely try to get some more.

If you have to buy them as young chicks, you might get extras next time, and plan on re-homing or butchering some when you find out which are males and which are females.

Males get red combs (on top of their heads) and red wattles (under their chins) at a younger age than females. The combs & wattles will stay small and pale-colored for quite a while on females, then get bigger and redder when they are almost ready to lay eggs. So looking at combs & wattles is one of the earliest ways to know if you have males or females.

And of course crowing is another good sign of being a male.

Back
Top Bottom