24 week old EE squatted

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DLandKathy, Jul 29, 2014.

1. DLandKathy

DLandKathy Hatching

Jun 8, 2014
    West Virginia, US
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have 4 pullets that are getting close to laying eggs. I was worried about this particular one bc I've read that black and white EEs are typically Roos. That orange on the wings had me pretty nervous. I'm new to chickens, but loving every minute of it.
    Her name is penny and she squatted for the first time yesterday. Her comb has gotten red and grown so much over the past week. Can't wait to see what color egg she will lay.

I already have 3 EE hens that are laying bluish eggs, but I bought them as laying hens. Penny will be my first that I've raised as a pullet to lay an egg. So excited!!

2. N F C

N F C whaz sup?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Penny is a nice looking bird, thanks for sharing her photos. Yep, it is exciting when you start to see signs that laying is close by. Sort of the reward for all the work, right? Let us know what color she lays.

3. DLandKathy

DLandKathy Hatching

Jun 8, 2014
    West Virginia, US
    [​IMG]
    She laid her first egg yesterday!!! 8 days after her first squat :) she laid another one today!!

4. N F C

N F C whaz sup?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

5. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Songster

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    COOL!! That is so eggciting. She's a beauty! ( A feeble attempt at humor and a The Tubes reference, gettin' lame in my old age.)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: