24 Weeks and No Eggs

purpletree23

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
I have 5 hens that are 24 weeks old. They were hatched the last day of March. The Buff I have started to lay 2 weeks ago and was steady but now she has gone broody. I'm gently trying to break her but on to the more important question I have.

My other 4 hens are not laying any eggs. The other chickens are 3 Spotted Sussex and an Austrolorp. Not an egg from any of them.

They are on layer pellets, get 10% of their diet from treats, they free range for approx 2 hours in the evening, have crushed oyster shell and chicken grit available 24/7. They have 4 nest boxes made to the specifications of a 'How to Raise Chickens' book. They have red waddles and combs, they are very fluffy and feathered and not a sign of lice or mites.

They did have a respiratory problem months ago and were on Tylan for a week prescribed by a vet.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

I've read that 6 months is an average age for laying. Some of mine have started (Apr 29 hatch) but some of the others have not and don't look like they will be for a while yet (small, not being mated by the roosters etc). I did notice that my little rooster was going in the nest box and sitting in it, fluffing it up etc. A short while after that they started getting interested in going in the boxes and started laying. This is my first year with chickens...

I've read everywhere that 21 weeks is the average age for laying!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the information. My mind is more at ease now. WHEW!

big_smile.png

I have 6 pullets hatched on April 13th. They were 24 weeks old last Monday. Only 1 is laying (SLW) and she started at 21.5 wks - the other 5 are not laying yet although they get in the nest and practice. So the only one laying has laid 14 eggs so far while the rest are doing nothing- I think they all lay when they are ready- kind of like when your children learn to walk- they just do it- and it's at all different ages- nothing to worry about.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom