24 weeks old, no eggs, no squatting yet that I've observed either...why?

tweetzone86

Songster
Jul 23, 2018
Kootenai County, ID
So...have 2 Silver-laced Wyandottes, 1 New Hampshire Red, and 14 Barred Rock hens that were hatched June 8. Been feeding them oyster shell on the side (have a NHR roo too) and Purina Flock Raiser 20% protein. Added supplemental light to their coop on timer set for 15 hours a day light (turns on 2 am off at 4 pm and verified it's working). Got ceramic eggs in next boxes- one per box. Combs and around eye skin reddening, my roo is annoyed that they're not squatting or feeling amorous (HE seems fully mature now, save for nubs where his spurs are slowly growing).

Still haven't started laying yet...any idea why? We're hungry for eggs and they're free-loading on feed right now (we sell extra to pay for feed)
🙁
They need to start literally pulling their weight...

lol wow 14 .. its getting there .. its taken my barrs up to 7 months before .. theyre going to cut loose on you soon and your gonna need a 5 gallon bucket everyday to collect eggs haha ...

Three pullet eggs found in the coop when I cleaned it out today (NOT in the nest boxes with the fancy ceramic egg)...:th:celebrate
I had some do that last year except they had been going under the coop and there was an entire treasure trove of eggs under there! They must have thought it was Easter and hid them for me to find.
Some wire fence stopped that.

Alot of times when pullets are maturing close to molt/winter/shortening days the egg factory takes awhile to get started.
A light on a timer can help get them started.

My GLW hasn't laid anything and she's 29 weeks now. I'm not supplementing light. She did give into the rooster's advances yesterday. But really it seems like there putting on a show for me. Lol.

So...have 2 Silver-laced Wyandottes, 1 New Hampshire Red, and 14 Barred Rock hens that were hatched June 8. Been feeding them oyster shell on the side (have a NHR roo too) and Purina Flock Raiser 20% protein. Added supplemental light to their coop on timer set for 15 hours a day light (turns on 2 am off at 4 pm and verified it's working). Got ceramic eggs in next boxes- one per box. Combs and around eye skin reddening, my roo is annoyed that they're not squatting or feeling amorous (HE seems fully mature now, save for nubs where his spurs are slowly growing).

Still haven't started laying yet...any idea why? We're hungry for eggs and they're free-loading on feed right now (we sell extra to pay for feed)
🙁
They need to start literally pulling their weight...
Don't feel bad. I have 3 that were hatched last Spring, and the next egg from any of them will be the 1st.
On top of that, I've gotten exactly 1 egg out of 6 hens in the adult coop in more than 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom