25 Hens in 8x10 coop

Quote:
That's a constant frustration. And i had a hard time finding consistent information even here at BYC. I actually read a book that said 1 square foot per chicken, and this book is supposedly for amateurs like us and BY someone who raises chickens at home. Once i figured out how off it was, i stopped reading that book. Not everyone who claims to be an expert is one.

Quote:
That's a constant frustration. And i had a hard time finding consistent information even here at BYC. I actually read a book that said 1 square foot per chicken, and this book is supposedly for amateurs like us and BY someone who raises chickens at home. Once i figured out how off it was, i stopped reading that book. Not everyone who claims to be an expert is one.

What they running a production egg farm,LOL guess they put 4 chickens in a cage! LOL

Now fiancee mad because I just went to home depot got more wood, siding etc to put in some more feet for the hen house. Geez, this is just where they sleep and lay do i really need to have 36 square feet? That mean I need to add 24 square feet....urgh ok well off to work i go

Okay, our coop is 3 1/2 x 4 ft and we have had 10-12 standards in it with a solid roof run. When our run was secure we only put a towel over the pop door to keep out drafts so they just slept/laid eggs in it and we let them out to free range every day if possible. We recently had a problem with a coon or weasel repeatedly getting into the coop so we have 5 standards in there now with a small waterer and solid pop door now. We plan on building a larger coop for light brahmas and using this coop for either silkies or crested polish in the spring.

Here's my point, only YOU know if your chickens are comfortable or not. Observe them and if they seem happy and secure then leave things as they are, if not either (a)modify the coop, (b) downsize your chicken population, or (c)build another coop and split up your chickens.

Another option if you have the space is to put another coop on the opposite end of your run so that all your chickens have access to the entire run but can split up to roost/lay.

Good luck!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I just spent the day adding 24 square feet onto our existing laying/sleeping hen house. still a few walls to put up but they are in their safe and sound. I'll put some extra roosts tomorrow so they can spread their wings. Pictures soon

Thanks for everyones great advice, you rock my chick'in world!!

Back
Top Bottom