25 watt bulbs burn out

trinar

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013
Central Arkansas
~~Put 48 nice brown eggs in incubator last Wed 1-22-14, this morning the light was out, temp down to 80, hope they make it. It is hard for me to get a 25 watt bulb to last through 2 hatches, only 6 weeks. Are any of you other folks having problems with bulbs having short lives?
TR in AR

Frequent on-off cycles are really hard on incandescent bulbs. The easy solution is to buy a ceramic heat emitter from a pet store. They screw into the same fixture as your bulb, but produce no light, just infared heat. You should probably make sure you have a baffle between it and the eggs to prevent direct overheating.

Or, replace your bulb with a compact florescent that stays on and add a separate heating element that can take the frequent cycles.

~~Put 48 nice brown eggs in incubator last Wed 1-22-14, this morning the light was out, temp down to 80, hope they make it. It is hard for me to get a 25 watt bulb to last through 2 hatches, only 6 weeks. Are any of you other folks having problems with bulbs having short lives?
TR in AR

Only down to 80 degrees? I had my power go out on my last hatch when I was sleeping, I am not sure how long the power was out but the temp in the incubator was down to 62ish if I remember right. I had to haul my incubator over to my parents house and leave it there a couple of days. I still had 12 out of 13 eggs hatch, 11 ultimately survived and were thriving.

manningjw
12 out of 13 hatching is a great percentage under the best conditions. That is encorraging, I just put in a new bulb and will continue and hope for the best.
Thanks
TR

Curious whether the ceramic heat emitters would heat quickly enough. My home made incubators use light bulbs and the thermostat cycles very quickly, creating only a one degree swing between "top" and "bottom" of the off/on cycle.

Does anyone know if the ceramic type create a wild swing of 3 or 4 degrees because of what I suspect might be a slow heat up and slow cool down time? Curious.

Had 28 out of the 48 hatch, thanks for your input, glad I continued the prosses. Cracked the unhatched eggs to check, and most were unfertal, so I guess they didn't get harmed much by the short near 80 degree drop. Got another batch going, and the light burned out last night, but I cought it right away. Also giving some goose eggs a try for the first time.
TR in AR

Back
Top Bottom