25 week Easter Egger

EileenS

Hatching
Oct 3, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Hi All I'm a newbie chicken owner and my 25 week old easter egger for the last few days will not come out of the top of her chicken coop. She spends most of her day in the nesting box but has not produced a single egg yet. She doesn't spend anytime in the run portion of the coop which is unusual for her. She allows me to pick her up from the nesting box with no problem and I let her out to free range but she doesn't seem to be eating her feed while she is in the coop. Should I be worried?

I thought broody meant she would be mean? Is there something I can do to help her?
No two birds are alike.
Some broodys are not mean.

Can you take a video of her and upload it to YouTube?

Do you have a wired dog crate?

Is she your only bird?
Does she squawk when you pull her out?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @EileenS
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-10-3_11-27-4.png

Is she your only bird?
Does she squawk when you pull her out?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @EileenS
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1924345

She does not squawk when I pull her out. I just started her on Purina Premium Poultry feed Layena Pellets last week. I also do provide her with frozen fruits because it is so hot in GA right now. I give her herbs from our garden as well.

No two birds are alike.
Some broodys are not mean.

Can you take a video of her and upload it to YouTube?

Do you have a wired dog crate?

I can take a video is there somewhere specific I should upload the video to on youtube? Sorry I have never uploaded a video to youtube or anywhere else for that matter lol. I do have a wired dog crate.

Is she your only bird?
Wonder if she needs a shot of electrolytes, she might be suffering from heat stress.

Deep all day shade is best but....
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Is she your only bird?
Wonder if she needs a shot of electrolytes, she might be suffering from heat stress.

Deep all day shade is best but....
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

I do have a packet of electrolytes I will try everything you suggested. Yes she is the only one.

I can take a video is there somewhere specific I should upload the video to on youtube? Sorry I have never uploaded a video to youtube or anywhere else for that matter lol. I do have a wired dog crate.
You would have to set up/create a Youtube account, similar to how you created one here, first.

Back
Top Bottom