25 week-old pullets - 4 of 6 still not laying???

MottFlock

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Hello Chicken Lovers!

We have six 25-ish week pullets, one of each of the following: Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Golden Laced Wyandotte and finally an Easter Egger. These chickens have been a great joy for us and of course we have anxiously awaited the arrival of eggs! The BR was the first to start laying, at about 19 weeks. The RIR started two weeks later, but the other four are still not laying. They have been on layer feed since they were 18 weeks, they have full access to fresh water, they receive fruits, veggies & other treats a couple times a week.

I'm not really concerned and I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong, but I'm wondering if the fading daylight hours could be having an effect. Here in the lovely Pacific NW, we are down to just over 12 hours of daylight per day right now and I'm curious if that could be postponing egg production.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank You!

All birds mature at different rates. Though many chickens start laying at five months old, a range of 5-7 months is normal. The fading daylight hours could be factoring in to this.
I suspect, however, that they just aren't mature enough yet. Many pullets will start laying in the fall, even with daylight hours decreasing.

Last edited:
Hi I'm new to byc and raising chickens we have 13 white leghorns and 4 mutt bantam pullets and two bantam roos . we had about 8 eggs so far but the last two days none . then to day we had one larger one with no shell is there something I could be doing wrong ? Or to help them lay better

Hi I'm new to byc and raising chickens we have 13 white leghorns and 4 mutt bantam pullets and two bantam roos . we had about 8 eggs so far but the last two days none . then to day we had one larger one with no shell is there something I could be doing wrong ? Or to help them lay better
Do you have a light in their coop during the night? The light would be disrupting their laying cycle and their health too. It may cause shelless eggs.

It is common for young layers to lay shelless eggs.

No I don't have any lights in my coop. They just started laying this week I wasn't going to add a light just yet I was going to see how they do with out it

Back
Top Bottom