250 ww heat lamp?

Willow's Meadow :

Thanks so much! I'm getting 16 chicks and I'm planning on using a kiddie pool, probably the biggest size they have at Walmart or wherever. I'll get the 250 ww test it out and see how it goes! Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Oh... BTW I dont know how long you plan to keep your girls in a kiddie pool but my girls were jumping and flying up to land on the edge of their 20" high brooder by the time they were two weeks old!!!
wink.png

I have always used the 250 watt red light with no problems. I do recommend that you have it clamped or attached with two methods. Backup in case 1st lets go that way you do not have to worry about fire.

Put a thermometer at chick level. Tape it to the wall or something so the chicks don`t knock it over. Check it alot to see if the temp is where you want it and adjust the hight of the lamp. Just make sure the chicks have enough room so they can move away from the heat if it get to hot.

Everything I have read suggests using the 250 w heat lamp. We are currently using a 250 w red heat lamp bulb in our brooder with 8 chicks (4 days old). It is working great! We have it on a pulley system so that we can raise and lower it as needed. We have a thermometer in the brooder to monitor the temperature. They are showing a good distribution in the brooder so we are comfortable that the temperature is correct for them until next week at which time we will drop it 10 degrees. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom