26 week old Barred Rock and still...nothin'.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hatrick, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Alright so she was 26 weeks on Monday and still...no eggs. The other two of the bunch have been laying since the end of September. What is going on?! Seriously, at what point do I write her off as a laying hen? Does this happen? Do some hens just NEVER lay eggs for whatever reason? Or, what's the latest you've ever heard of this breed, or something similar, start laying? I posted pics of her a few weeks back to show the comparison between her and the other two, comb wise and such. HELP!

2. meadrian

meadrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm still new to this and am sure someone with far more experience will post. I have 2 who are 24 weeks old and haven't laid. Not worried about it, though. The days are getting shorter, so less light. Mine might still lay or they might wait until next Spring. I don't plan on adding extra light to make them lay. I figure they will when they're ready. That doesn't mean they'll never lay. it's just the days getting shorter.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

If my 26 weekers (EE, B.O., SLW, Brahma, Silkie, Chanteclers, Mallard ducks, Khaki Campbell ducks) don't start laying, my husband is going to insist on a HUGE T-day feast... (hurry up girls!!!)

4. Pampered Chicken

Pampered Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    I have 30 weekers that aren't laying!! I'm almost ready to ship them off.

5. karl lutz

karl lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Must be in the air my RIR's arent laying and I got them in may my leg horns are and my barred rocks are just getting cozy in the boxes right at this time and they are 5 and 1/2 mos old so it must just take time.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They lay when they lay, is all I can tell you. This year, I had two, different breeds, who laid AFTER 40 weeks old!

7. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Hmmm, well that's interesting. I guess we'll just wait and see. It's frustrating cause she's a snuggle chicken if you can get your hands on her. [​IMG] The other two I can catch no problem because of the squat. Her full name is Oven Roasted Chicken~Rosy for short, but I refuse to let my husband let her live up to her name. [​IMG] So I guess, she'll lay when she lays.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by