26 week old flock and no eggs? Is something wrong?

Contrary to popular belief, it’s not the cold that inhibits laying in the winter months. It’s the shorter days. It also depends a lot upon the breed; my sex links lay eggs all winter long no matter how cold it it.

Fact. Your birds may very well not initiate laying until day light period reaches 12 to 14 hours. Nothing wrong with them or what you are doing - all is normal.

My speckled sussex didn't lay until almost 30 weeks. Chances are they need more light. I have a light that comes on at 1am. They are on the roost by 4pm, this time of year. Without supplemental light, I wouldn't expect them to lay until spring.
My chickens spend most of their day in the run. Will adding a light inside the coop still help? Mine usually go out around 7 am and come in around 4 pm.

My chickens spend most of their day in the run. Will adding a light inside the coop still help? Mine usually go out around 7 am and come in around 4 pm.
Yes. Mine is in a timer. It turns in at 1am and turns off at 8am. By 8am, its daylight, so there's no reason to have it on.When it comes on at 1am, they think it is morning. Then, in the evening, they go to bed like normal. The goal is to make them think there is more daylight than there really is.

It turns in at 1am
That's early!
What time does the sun set?
You know they do need 8 hours of darkness.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1610818717392.png

Back
Top Bottom