26 week old flock and no eggs? Is something wrong?

Woo Hoo! I thought our girls were almost the same age, but yours are actually 7 weeks older. My 2 of 3 Welsummers (I think) are only laying a pullet egg about every other day or so, if it is indeed them. All the eggs are the same color. lol so hard to tell, but my ISAs are squatting for me regularly, and the eggs are all large and up. My last Wels I think has delayed development, and her pelvis is still at 1 finger, so she may not lay for awhile. I am looking at getting 5 more pullets next week that are the same age as my girls. The person said that it is easier to integrate them if they are the same age, and if a group.

Woo Hoo! I thought our girls were almost the same age, but yours are actually 7 weeks older. My 2 of 3 Welsummers (I think) are only laying a pullet egg about every other day or so, if it is indeed them. All the eggs are the same color. lol so hard to tell, but my ISAs are squatting for me regularly, and the eggs are all large and up. My last Wels I think has delayed development, and her pelvis is still at 1 finger, so she may not lay for awhile. I am looking at getting 5 more pullets next week that are the same age as my girls. The person said that it is easier to integrate them if they are the same age, and if a group.
I only have an idea which chickens may have laid an egg because I have a camera in there. And I don’t have any two of the same breed so it’s even easier. That does sound like a good technique to integrate two flocks. But after years of being a vet tech I’d be worried about potentially introducing parasites/disease that may be present in the new chickens. I’m sure the risk is low, but I always worry about things like that.

I only have an idea which chickens may have laid an egg because I have a camera in there. And I don’t have any two of the same breed so it’s even easier. That does sound like a good technique to integrate two flocks. But after years of being a vet tech I’d be worried about potentially introducing parasites/disease that may be present in the new chickens. I’m sure the risk is low, but I always worry about things like that.
The flock raiser dusts and worms his flock regularly, so I would be ok with the process.

The flock raiser dusts and worms his flock regularly, so I would be ok with the process.
Keep me updated on how the integration goes! I’m planning to add a few chicks in spring and am excited/nervous to see how it goes. Most of my chickens are pretty mellow except my welsummer. She’s a bit of a bully.

Since you like large eggs... Check out this giant. The brown egg is a normal chicken egg from my RIR. The smaller white egg is a normal duck egg from one of my my Pekin ducks.

And then.... The monster egg! I swear it looks like a goose egg or something. Poor duck. I bet that hurt.... 😂

View attachment 2523774
View attachment 2523775
Beautiful and really LARGE. !!

Keep me updated on how the integration goes! I’m planning to add a few chicks in spring and am excited/nervous to see how it goes. Most of my chickens are pretty mellow except my welsummer. She’s a bit of a bully.
Will do. My 3 Welsummers pecking order are top, middle, and bottom mixed with the 4 ISAs. Hubby is building a quick temp. coop for them, getting them next week sometime. It's going to snow from tonight until Sunday noon, IF the weather guessers are correct. It'll be interesting to see what the girls do. They did not care for the heavy frost this morning.

It's normal in general. Depending on their age and the season, hens can stop laying from 1 to 3-4 months during winter time. I have a heater in the coop that keeps the temp above freezing, since I want them to be comfy, so they stop laying for very brief periods - 1 month for 1 year old hens, usually mid December after they finish moulting to mid January. My 6 year old stopped for 4 months :)

Found these today. Snow shock? T I am asking on another thread if a girl could've laid both if these, they were in the same place.
20210213_130513.jpg

Back
Top Bottom