26 weeks and still no eggs? What am i doing wrong?

Last year I waited 9 months for eggs from heritage birds. That was tedious and started thinking I had a few dud layers. The squatting is a great sign and is unmistakable when you see it. They do it when you come near them, it's a submissive mating stance. As other posters said I'd lock them in coop and run for a few days.

I'll bet they're laying and hiding the eggs. Either do a more thorough search--under EVERY bush, behind every thing a chicken could fit behind, in uncovered trash cans, under parked vehicles, in dog dishes, hay bales, compost piles, rotten stumps........you get the idea. I've found eggs in every one of those places with free range birds.

Your best bet is to confine them for a few days. Not only will this let you know they're really laying but it will start them in the habit of laying in the coop where you want them to. They are much creatures of habit and won't change unless forced to.

LOL! I just got on here to look at this exact topic! We have 6 red sex links that are 22 weeks old. One of them started laying about a week and a half ago. Her comb got very red, grew, and she started squawking and making a lot of "chatter". Before that I had been very concerned because nobody showed ANY interest in the lovely nest boxes that we worked so hard on.
lol.png
Then one day, after she started the squawking, I heard a rustling in the nest boxes and low and behold! The rooster was in a box
lau.gif
Apparently he was checking things out for the girls. They all started exploring and within another day she laid her first egg. She's been a laying machine ever since. But the others, no such luck. I have listened, followed, searched, watched, etc. and nothing. It's been really hot here, so I don't want to lock them in the coop, but if they don't start laying pretty quickly, I'm going to give it a try. We are, by the way, also feeding Countryside Organics. I hope you get some layers pretty soon! Basically, I just wanted to share that you're not alone.
hugs.gif

I'll help them out. It could be a couple more weeks yet. If they haven't squatted or tried out the nest box yet. Work on your patience. Take this time just to watch and enjoy them.
Seems every time I've given the advise to relax and enjoy they laid soon. Probably broke that string.

thank you Everyone for the encouraging words. I will keep them locked up for 2-3 days and see what happens. If no eggs, then I'll let them out and just wait some more.

By the way, I just remembered something. Our Sex Link got very sick when she was 1 week old. We thought we were going to lose her. She came through with lots of TLC. I'm wondering if this caused a problem with her or maybe a delay in her laying. She's a real scaredy cat (LOL) about stuff and is always the last to try something new. Could her being sick as a baby be a reason for her delay or could it have caused her to not be able to lay at all?

i don't know what happened to the other 2 chickens as babies as i got them when they were supposed to be 4 months old.

Back
Top Bottom