-27 deg. last night and no chickencicles!

evhammond1200

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
Canaan, NH
It got to -27 last night here in NH! Chickens all seem to be doing well in spite of the cold weather! Coop is insulated and I have a 150 watt heat lamp on a timer 40 min on 40 min off. I hadit on a themostat that had it on below freezing but found they didnt need it that much even colder than that so I put it on a timer so it is off more and not using as much elect. I did have most of my eggs frozen though! Had to work all day so they were in nesting boxes all day!

I can't even imagine it being that cold. I have a medical problem with temps below 70. I have 65w lamps on my 5 and 9 wk old chicks because of unusal freezing temps here in sunny forida. It has never been this cold for so many days this year and in mar. of last year. Hope it gets back to normal soon. Good luck and keep warm.

Had -23 the night before last...you now have the cold. Got up to balmy 23 today. Went out to the coop in a sweatshirt. Both the chickens and I have acclimated...not problems here as of yet, but winter is far from done. No heat other than the water heater. Don't think it does much for keeping the coop warm. Spoke to a meteorologist friend of mine and he said the rest of winter will be more of the same. Cold and lots of snow. Think spring.

Back
Top Bottom