Will 3 week old chicks survive 39 deg f nights?

My 2 week old baby chicks were put outside yesterday an hour before dark and are doing great this morning.Its 53 degrees F outside but in the brooder its 85-90 degrees under the black ceramic heat emitter.The coop and main run is predator proof with an apron so they have a safe place to explore when its nice outside.

Hey guys, just thought I'll give an update: I kept my 3.5 week old littles in the outdoor chick coop last night. The night temp dropped to 50 deg F (10 deg C) & all survived & were still thriving this morning when I let them out. 😊 So thank you all who have contributed to this thread! 😊
Next week I have to make some changes in my set up because the temperatures going to be be in the 30's at night .My brooder is a large dog crate with cardboard on the side and doesn't give them much room to play in. During the day I open the door after it warms up but it'll be much colder by then.This is my first time raising fall chicks.

Next week I have to make some changes in my set up because the temperatures going to be be in the 30's at night .My brooder is a large dog crate with cardboard on the side and doesn't give them much room to play in. During the day I open the door after it warms up but it'll be much colder by then.This is my first time raising fall chicks.
If they have a place to get warm when they need it, chicks at 2-3 weeks old should be fine playing in those temperatures.

So as long as the brooder still has one area warm enough, you can probably open the door as usual, and let them make their own choices about temperatures.

If they have a place to get warm when they need it, chicks at 2-3 weeks old should be fine playing in those temperatures.

So as long as the brooder still has one area warm enough, you can probably open the door as usual, and let them make their own choices about temperatures.
Yeah 100% agree, I just moved my 2 week old chicks outside, they’ve been out there a week now. My temps go to about 40F at night and they do just fine. They have a brooder plate if needed but they hardly go under it

Edit: I panicked and brought my chicks inside Friday night after hearing the temperature was going down in the 30's but after seeing how stressed they are now I realized I made a huge mistake. Even though the temperature will be down in the 20's a couple nights is week they'll be happier out there .At least there they have room to play .In here they are crammed together in a tiny space and can't do anything.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom